mtbr member

SS Frame recomendations

After much deliberation and procrastination, I'm finally selling my XTC 29er and getting a SS frame, or complete bike with the intention of installing an alfine 11 hub. I guess I could have used several different forums but I'm really looking for advice around the frame quality, geo and ride.

Have been looking at used bikes like the 2010 GF Rig, Haro Mary, Kona Unit, Karate Monkey. I would be looking at an 80-100mm travel fork and I'm mostly in the XC catagory of rider and would probably be considered fairly reserved but occasionally agressive in my riding style.

You will notice the fisher is the only Aluminium frame in the lineup of bikes I have looked at. The XTC is a really unforgiving frame on the body for all day rides and I really liked the difference in feel when I swapped my work commuter for an older steel frame bike.

Any thoughts and recommendations appreciated.
    Cheers.

Riding and lovin it.
    Salsa El Mar.

mtbr member
    Will you be doing anything besides XC riding? Would you ever venture into long distance rides? Before I just suggest something without support, I'd like to find out what you need the bike for to begin with. Nothing wrong with an El Mar, as you can see captain smoke eater rides one. You can also look into Surly's Ogre or Karate Monkey. I've also heard great things about the Unit for XC riding. I'm personally a Surly fan, but do not have experience with much else yet. I think an Ogre with Alfine 11 would be an amazing adventure/xc/touring/commuting bike.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Hey guys, thanks for your thoughts. Just had a look at the Surley website and the Karate Monkey kinda looks like my cup of tea. I do enjoy lots of different types of riding from the odd pub crawl with a few mates, to xc and singletrack up to probably grade 4. I've done a few events but more for fun than uber competitive. I'm probably in the average skill level of rider, mid 40's, 6' and 195lbs.

mtbr member

Wink

The On One scandal is a solid frame for 300 bucks. Its an xc bike and has space for 2.4 tires.

The build i almost did was a banshee paradox with the IGH.

Or a kona honzo.
    Lots and lots of.choices...... i would decide on frame material and geometry... that would narrow it down some

mtbr member
    Thanks you guys for your input here. Ended up purchasing an On-One Inbred and couldn't be happier. It's a bit older than I had initially intended to buy, but is in pretty much mint condition. Pic is from my first hit out on it today.

SS Frame recomendations-wp_000182.jpg