mtbr member
    Apr 2012

SRAM XX GXP Crankset spacers

Enjoying a 2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 29'r 2 and about to order a SRAM XX crankset and I've ran across the mentioning of using spacers, etc. Do these spacers come with the new crankset or where would I get them? My bottom bracket housing is apprx 88mm wide, not counting the bearing protrusions.

About the bike: It's a sweet ride for sure and I'm just tinkering with making it lighter and doing the work myself. I weighed the bike stock with eggbeater 1 pedals and it was 27lbs 9 oz, so the advertised weight (in several reviews) of 26 lbs o.o.t.b. was wrong. I've since replaced the stock SXC-2 wheels with Stans ArchEX with Industry 9 hubs, Eggbeater 11's, seat tube and some other minor parts and have gotten it to a respectable 25 lbs 14 oz but still looking to get it under the 25 lb mark... and that is where I'm at with the XX upgrade spacer query.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Normally spacers are used between the GXP threaded cups and the frame. Sounds like you have a press fit system, maybe BB86? You don't need any spacers for those, you just press the bearings into the frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    Normally spacers are used between the GXP threaded cups and the frame. Sounds like you have a press fit system, maybe BB86? You don't need any spacers for those, you just press the bearings into the frame.
    The bottom bracket is actually 89.5mm (not counting the bearing cup lips), I suppose "another" Giant change in standards..... which is the cause of these types of questions... heh.

I tried to link the frameset; but I'm 3 posts short of being able to do so... argh.

So knowing this; is there a specific size, etc XX crankset I need to be looking at?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Amazed; 01-27-2013 at 05:12 AM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    The bottom bracket is actually 89.5mm (not counting the bearing cup lips), I suppose "another" Giant change in standards..... which is the cause of these types of questions... heh.

I tried to link the frameset; but I'm 3 posts short of being able to do so... argh.

So knowing this; is there a specific size, etc XX crankset I need to be looking at?

Thanks again!
    You need the GXP crank and the Pressfit GXP bottom bracket. No spacers required.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    You need the GXP crank and the Pressfit GXP bottom bracket. No spacers required.
    Okay, cool. Now, I'm a tad confused on the Q156 or Q166. There appears to be apprx 9/16" between my chainstays and the crank arms (SRAM S1000 26/39t) and my right heel currently hits my crank arm every now and then. Do you think the Q156 will clear the frame okay?

I realize this might be getting a bit too detailed without actual measurement specs so if we need to dog it off, I understand.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi,
    out of interest did you end up getting a Q156 or Q166 crank? I'm in the same situation!

Thanks