Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Specialized vs. Raleigh M800

6K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Akali 
#1 ·
Specialized StumpJumper '04@$1100 vs Raleigh M800 '03@$700

Both bikes have LX front and XT rear 9speed. Both have DB 7000 series frames. The Raleigh M800 is discontinued and replaced by the Raleigh Talus which is getting great reviews, as did the M800. The M800 new was running $1200. Anyway I found a new 'in box' M800 at a LBS.
What I've noticed in the two bikes is that the Specialized comes with a $600 Fox Talus, while the Raleigh has a DukeSL and DiscBrakes. So, with the $400 difference and a $100 trade in allowance, I can get a better fork for the Raleigh...Fox VanillaRL?
The Raleigh has all name-brand components, the Specialized uses most 'Specialized' components. I don't know how good Specialized tires, handlebars, stems, seat post compare to MotoRaptor, Koski, Easton...etc.

Also the Specialized weighs in at 22lbs while the M800 comes in at a hefty 25lbs. Although I think a better fork can shave off close to a pound and converting to Hydraulic over Mech can save also. But I am 235lbs and the Raleigh frame seems more... 'able' if that makes any sense.

After reading what I just wrote...I'm leaning towards the Raleigh...price factor? $400 is some serious cash for me right now, however, what do you guys think?

Thanks for your input!!! ; )

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.