mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Specialized SX Trail

Hello guys. I've been thinking of buying a new frame and adding custom parts to it. So far I have been interested in the SX Trail. I want to be able to pedal uphill decently. But I want to do downhill. I started racing endurance and I enjoyed it. I want to start racing enduro and DH but still some endurance. Would this be a good bike for it? I'm thinking of adding Rock Shox Pike's and a coiled rear suspension. Weight isn't much of a problem but I would prefer it being relatively light. What would be a good price for this kind of frame? Thanks ahead guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hi Mate, the bike is a pig to pedal uphill. I did it for a decent amount of time which got me super fit but then I decided to get rid of it and got a 2013 Enduro. Descends as well as the SX Trail and Pedals uphill amazingly. I just put a set of Pikes on it and WOW!!!

What's the budget? If you go for a 2014 Enduro Comp that already comes with PIKE but not RCT3, but RC only which is a custom PIKE for specialized without any Low Speed compresion adjustments. Still a killer fork as I tried them on a friend's enduro comp.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks! I have been looking at the enduro but it is pricey. What would be a solid range a a bike like this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Depends on what you like, anything with 6" travel should do the job!

The Enduro Comp is about $3K I think, isn't? Once you take into account a new Pike ($1K) Frame & components, you might not be far from that price!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Okay sweet solid thanks! Ya I was looking for something will 5"-6" of travel. You said the SXT was hard uphill. Could you lighten it so it would be good uphill. Or would that just end up costing a lot?

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Enduro trumps sxt for what you want. Lighten the sxt all you want it will still be a squidgy slack geom mini DH bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Okay so stick with the enduro. Are there any upgrades to it that would be recommended

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Agree with Vikingboy, don't waste your hard earned money lighting it.

In terms of upgrades, TONS!! hahaha, Just kidding. It all comes down to what components you like and how much you want to spend! If you stick to 2014 Comp model (basic), the bike is sweet to go from the box IMO.

Specialized Bicycle Components

Edit: Dropper post. You want to have one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by JB-MTB View Post
    Okay so stick with the enduro. Are there any upgrades to it that would be recommended

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Okay sweet thanks for the help guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Look at the Titus El Guapo full builds and build kits from On One in the UK. Excellent bikes and great prices.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Okay I will thanks!

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    re-reading your post, you might want to look at the Stumpy Evo too - probably more competitive on the Enduro races as its lighter but needs more skills to nail the gnarly stuff. Thing I noticed with the faster guys is they are riding lighter and lighter, less DH bikes. Given I'm just not that competitive, I would take the Enduro but if you want to be ahead of the pack, lighter would be faster. Take a look at Remy Abelson and other top guys bikes of the last few years....look like XC bikes. Sorry to throw more options into the mix.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks viking! Actually thanks for telling me more about other bikes. I like having the options then I can find pros and cons from eac you know? The biggest thing for me is a bike that will last. Im still learning, and some pretty good skill on some gnarly stuff so saying this a bike for me will need to go through a lot. Thanks!

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanabartola View Post
    ..... I just put a set of Pikes on it and WOW!!!.....
    I'm curious as to why Brits and Aussies oten pluralize the name of their forks. If you put a set of forks on it you'd have two forks. You put a Pike on it, not "Pikes" (great fork, btw). Sure there are tines on a fork, but do you eat with a spoon, a knife and forks?
    OP, any reason you're looking at only Specialized? Lots of nice bikes out there in the 5-6" enduro bike category.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Pluralisation is fairly often messed up regardless of location. One of the most annoying is LEGO vs LEGOs but thats mainly an American one from my experience.

I think in this case is because he prefixed pikes with "set" implying multiple units.

..... I just put a set of Pikes on it and WOW!!!.....

vs

..... I just put a set of Pike on it and WOW!!!.....

He could have said

..... I just put a Pike on it and WOW!!!.....

so arguably the use of the word 'set' was incorrect because the fork is a single unit and not two independent damping units

I'd be interested in learning if anyone has a link to something easily digestible on grammar rules?

Back on topic though, there are lots of great bikes out there and I assumed the seller was keen on Specialized for a reason, he may have a local dealer or access at good pricing. Whatever, I didn't want to confused him by going all wildcard on him.
    Specialized dont do much wrong (outside the WC!) IMHO, they make nice looking bikes, make good suspension, great geometry and great warranty / support and I consider them to be one of the more progressive companies out there too leading rather than following the herd. Just my 2p worth.

@JB-MTB: if you are learning and building confidence on the gnarly stuff, it might be worth going with the bigger bike like the SXt or Enduro Evo to help build confidence on hitting the gnarlier stuff before transitioning to a lighter more competitive bike. 7" of suspension helps build confidence for sure but they dont call them skills compensators or nothing.

Sadly, there isnt a true do-it-all bike yet, and I dont think there ever will be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks guys! I've just been interested in specialized, but I have also been looking at trek like the Trek Remedy or Slash. But I really like the Fuel EX. So if your are saying to go with a SXT what should I do to it? Like upgrade wise

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I currently have a Trek Wahoo. I've put this thing through a beating. It has done me well. I've tacoed some tires/rims. I'm To the point were I'm either just going to keep investing in it or just save a buy a new one.