mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Specialized Stumpjumper Pro vs. Pro Carbon

Hello All,

I'm a total forum newbie here, just completed the forum registration, but am not new to mountain biking. I've been riding a HT Rockhopper Comp for the last 7 years and am going to take a plunge to get an FS.

For the budget I have, I don't have any choice other than buying a used bike. I have two bikes being sold locally that I'm trying to decide and would greatly appreciate any inputs.

The first one is a 2006 Stumpjumper Pro that has been hardly ridden. The bike looks pretty much close to new with a few very minor scratches and just dust from sitting in the garage. All is original, including tires and pads. Price is firm at $1K.

The second one is a 2008 Stumpjumper Pro Carbon that has some decent miles. Owner is an ex bike mechanic and takes care of the bike pretty well. Tires have been replaced and have lots of life. There are some scratches and nicks on the frames, but they're are mostly paint chips. I inspected the carbon frame closely and it appears to be in mint condition, other than the surface/paint scratches. Suspension is all original and has not been rebuilt. Price is firm at $1.3K.

The 2008 Carbon seems to be a good value, but I'm concerned with the higher mileage and more maintenance items that need to be taken care pretty soon (suspension rebuild, brake pads and rotors, chain, etc.). My initial budget was $1K, but could probably stretch it a bit, but wouldn't have $$$ left over for any maintenance...

Any help and inputs for my decision making are greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

mtbr member
    If your budget is 1000, you should stick to the budget. I don't think $1000 for a 06 stumpy is a good deal though.
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    If your budget is 1000, you should stick to the budget. I don't think $1000 for a 06 stumpy is a good deal though.
    I've been using bicyclebluebook.com as a price benchmark. Not sure how accurate they are. They list 2006 stumpy pro at $1.3K.

Listing Detail - Bicycle Blue Book

How much do you think the '06 should be worth?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    I should rephrase. I think that 1000 is a fair price for that bike in the condition you described. I don't think you would be getting a great deal though. I also think you could probably find a newer stumpy for the same price.
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, a 2006 bike is 6+ years old. I'd offer $850 cash, $900 might be my top dollar. You can find a 2 year old Giant Trance for a grand.