mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro Disc or Cannondale Jekyll 1000

Hello all,

This is my first post here...hope this question isn't too much of a newbie question:

Looking into a mountain bike for mainly non-specialized use (trails of all difficulty levels, as well as 20% road / flat dirt travel.

Have come down to the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro Disc or Cannondale Jekyll 1000.

Any opinions as to which is more rugged and/or more suitable?

Are there any frame quality differences between the two?

My local bike shop has both priced the same (~$2500).

Thank you all in advance!
    coverthawk

beer *****es n' bikes
    I think you can't go wrong at all with the Specialized. The M4 frame is beautifully light, and everything on the Specialized is standard with no proprietary sizes or parts. You can upgrade without having to go through any ordeal. Cannondales are nice bikes for sure but I'm not a fan of their reputation for the "upgrade ordeal". I know you won't be trading off any frame strength getting the Specialized either. Either bike is nice though really so see what fits you better and look into the cost and difficulty of upgrading a C'dale before you buy just to know what you're getting into.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'll vote for the stumpjumper.

However I may have a biast opinion. I currently own one of the 04 Stumpjumpers and really like it. The biggest caviat of the Cannon is the upgrade isues mentioned before. if you wanted to change to a diffrent fork for instance you would be required to get the new fork + a headset, and reducer ( unless you pick a fork with a 1.5 steerer), and a new front wheel. Another thing to consider is that the cannon uses an Spv rear shock, and the stumpjumper uses Propedal. Each of these shocks has a unique feel, and you may find that you like 1 better. The Stumpy gives you the option of turning propedal off, and having a fully open shock. It also comes with a lockout I don't think the Jekyll does. The Stumpjumper is an all around awsome bike, and I feel confident that you would enjoy it. The Jekyll however is by no means a bad choice. Spend some time test riding both bikes. Cannondale has a demo program that was in my town this week. I showed up at a local trail to ride, and they were there with a 5th wheel full of bikes for people to play with. I got in a 20 mile ride on a Scapel. Maybe they are going to be close to you with a Jekyll. Some specialized dealers have demo programs as well. Test ride as much as you can an pick the one you like best.

aka Willy Vanilly
    Also, check out the standover difference between the two frames. I tried a Jekyll at the shop I used to work at and didn't have much clearance.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Either way will be FUN

Goodaye Coverthawk

In support of the Jekyll.

To put you in the picture - current ride is a Jekyll 800 (02 version with lefty).
    Prior to that - Jamis Dakar Pro. Prior to that Giant hardtail

Have ridden 3 Spec FSR's owned by friends.

Jekyll Advantages - Pro pedal type rear shock, Lefty Max +TPC fork (130mm), Approx 130mm rear travel. Will pedal well up hill, is an absolute blast on the downs. Accelerates well, handles and steers well. One pivot piece of mind (mind you, never had pivot probs on the dakar in the past)

Jekyll Disadvantages - a little brake lock-up of suspension action when hitting the anchors on rough downhills (this is really not a problem - learn to ride it. Look at all the 'free ride' type single pivots without the anti lock-up device, they all seem to work) Sinse when are you going to change the fork? Who cares if its not directly compatable with some other forks.

The Stumpy and Jekyll are different bikes for different reasons. The Jekyll and the Enduro are more comparable IMHO

The reason i went from the dakar to the jekyll was to get more travel and more potential for the rough and fast stuff.

At the end of the day - this is all just opinions based on my experience. The best thing you can do is go with your heart (which one fits and feels best) and ride the hell out of it!!

Either way - you will have a lot of fun.