mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Specialized Epic Disc Comp: 2005 or 2006?

I have the option of saving $500 by buying an Epic Disc Comp 2005 instead of a 2006. Are there any reasons that the 2006 would be worth the extra $500? Can anyone provide input on the effectiveness of the new brain fade as opposed to the brain lite on the '05? How much different is the M5 frame versus the M4 used on the '05? Anybody have any numbers on what kind of weight difference I would be looking at between the two bikes or info about other performance or quality differences?

HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismtb
    I have the option of saving $500 by buying an Epic Disc Comp 2005 instead of a 2006. Are there any reasons that the 2006 would be worth the extra $500? Can anyone provide input on the effectiveness of the new brain fade as opposed to the brain lite on the '05? How much different is the M5 frame versus the M4 used on the '05? Anybody have any numbers on what kind of weight difference I would be looking at between the two bikes or info about other performance or quality differences?
    M5 is a little lighter, the XT cranks are nice (lighter), 100mm travel and brainfade are also nice. Most of the other components seem to be a wash (from what I remember).

I had decided to buy a 2006 Epic Comp when I picked up a Turner Burner on close out at SuperGo and decided to just build that up (I don't race and was more lusting after the technology of the Epic, the Burner probably better suits my riding style but I may still pick up an Epic at some point) ...

Hope this helps ...

Berardino

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Doesn't seem like nearly enough to be worth the extra money. Now that I think about it, I think it was actually a $700 difference between the two model years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by baratta930
    M5 is a little lighter, the XT cranks are nice (lighter), 100mm travel and brainfade are also nice. Most of the other components seem to be a wash (from what I remember).

I had decided to buy a 2006 Epic Comp when I picked up a Turner Burner on close out at SuperGo and decided to just build that up (I don't race and was more lusting after the technology of the Epic, the Burner probably better suits my riding style but I may still pick up an Epic at some point) ...

Hope this helps ...

Berardino
    Hi,

I live in Europe and don't know about supergo but I am looking for a good deal on a Burner. Can you tell me what deal did you have? On the website of supergo.com I don't see any Turner bikes.

thanks

HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rex1
    Hi,

I live in Europe and don't know about supergo but I am looking for a good deal on a Burner. Can you tell me what deal did you have? On the website of supergo.com I don't see any Turner bikes.

thanks
    Some of the stores still have them but nothing on the web. I paid $799 plus $50 to box and ship to my house. It was tax free day on bikes and they did the same for the frame so I got it for $849 total cash out.

I was in California on business and just drove up to the store and bought it. Maybe you can get a local to help you buy one ...

Hope this helps ...

Berardino