mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Specialized Epic

I've found a great deal on a 2013 Specialized Epic and I want to ride one on a trail before I buy it. However, nobody seems have them as a demo/rental in my area. Is there any other option you guys can help me with that will get me on that bike on dirt relatively soon since I don't think the bike will be around much longer at its current price?

Also, if anybody who owns an Epic could give me some ideas of how they like it, I would appreciate it.

I'm currently riding a 5 year old hard tail that I just started taking out earlier this year. I ride 2-3 times per week, probably 8 miles or so per ride. Almost all beginner single track. I'm 5'8" 170-180 depending on the day. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The Epic is a fun bike to ride. I enjoy it.

mtbr member
    You really, really should find a way to demo one, and if not cross the bike off your list. I don't normally say that, but the Epic does not ride like it's "numbers" would suggest.

Some people love them, I've demoed a couple and would call it the worst suspension bike on the market today (for as well as the suspension performs, I'd just get a hardtail).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ^

LOL so you have demoed a few huh. Cute.

I have put 5000 miles on my Epic this season. The bike is amazing and I would not ride anything else. The 13 brain was upgraded heavily from the 12 and it is very customizable to your riding style. If you like firm, there is a setting for that, of you plush, there is setting for that.

Most guys that complain about suspensions being wrong have clue on how to set them up.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    ^

Most guys that complain about suspensions being wrong have clue on how to set them up.
    You're right, I do have clue how to set up suspension.

You're pretty insecure in your bike choice if that's your reaction to someone saying it's not for them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post

You're pretty insecure in your bike choice if that's your reaction to someone saying it's not for them.
    LOL... If I was so insecure in my choice of bike, why would I plop huge stack of cash down for another one?
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinG View Post
    I've found a great deal on a 2013 Specialized Epic and I want to ride one on a trail before I buy it. However, nobody seems have them as a demo/rental in my area. Is there any other option you guys can help me with that will get me on that bike on dirt relatively soon since I don't think the bike will be around much longer at its current price?

Also, if anybody who owns an Epic could give me some ideas of how they like it, I would appreciate it.

I'm currently riding a 5 year old hard tail that I just started taking out earlier this year. I ride 2-3 times per week, probably 8 miles or so per ride. Almost all beginner single track. I'm 5'8" 170-180 depending on the day. Thanks for the help.
    I have demoed the epic for one ride and it was nice but it wasn't for me. With how the suspension was setup it felt great on climbs and the geometry was appropriate for an XC bike (by that I mean the steering was pretty responsive compared to something with more rake angle but that made it a little nervous feeling with smooth fast corners).

That being said, it wasn't the bike for me. The suspension didn't quite have enough travel for the way I ride downhill sections of our trails. I bottomed out the suspension a few times (didn't jump it but theres a few deep G-out dips). The suspension could have been stiffened but it would have taken away from how smooth it climbed on rooted hills. So I got a GT Sensor instead which has been the best of both worlds. If I lived somewhere with rocky trails and wanted an XC bike the Epic would probably be on the top of my list to get. The trails here for the most part are pretty smooth other then roots so I'm perfectly happy with my hard tail for XC riding.

If you have not ridden any full suspension bikes you might want to take one out for a ride first. At least that way you'll know if you like how the FS feels especially on tough climbs if you have any. Some people just prefer a hard tail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I don't plan on buying any bike that I can't demo at least on the trail that I ride 2-3 times per week. I mean, it sucks passing up on a $3300 bike for $1900 but I just don't think I can justify spending even that much on a bike that I've never ridden and has a no return once ridden policy. Whatever bike I buy next I'm going to be on it for, most likely, at least 4-5 years and I don't want to be stuck with something I don't like. I'll find what I want even if it takes me 6 months and a bunch of test rides. Hey, at least I'll get to go through all of the "work" of testing them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinG View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I don't plan on buying any bike that I can't demo at least on the trail that I ride 2-3 times per week. I mean, it sucks passing up on a $3300 bike for $1900 but I just don't think I can justify spending even that much on a bike that I've never ridden and has a no return once ridden policy. Whatever bike I buy next I'm going to be on it for, most likely, at least 4-5 years and I don't want to be stuck with something I don't like. I'll find what I want even if it takes me 6 months and a bunch of test rides. Hey, at least I'll get to go through all of the "work" of testing them.
    Waiting till you demo a few different bikes is probably a good idea. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with any well built bike. Usually people who say "I hate this bike" are people who either didn't have it setup for them properly or they just like complaining.

Theres only two things you really need to follow to decide on which bike to get.

1. Buy a bike thats designed for the riding you do. For example don't buy a downhill bike if you're riding flat dirt trails in Florida. If you ride XC then any bike classified as XC will do just fine on any XC trails. If you think you'll do mostly XC but might bomb through some downhill sections then get a trail bike (or all mountain).

2. Don't be a cheap skate. Buy something with good components ESPECIALLY if you'll be riding it on a regular basis for 5 years! Cheap bikes have cheap components and those cheap components normally don't last very long at all. My first mountain bike was a GT Avalanche 3.0 which was $450. Under the normal use that I gave it I needed to replace the wheel set because the cheap rims wouldn't stay true. After 300 miles the rear derailleur would not hold the correct adjustments even after replacing the cable and cleaning/lubing it on a regular basis. Upgrading those two components alone with mid grade cost me an extra $330!!!! That totals the bike up to $780 but it STILL has cheap brakes, a cheap fork, cheap shifters, cheap crank, cheap front derailleur, cheap chain wheels, and a cheap cassette!!!!

Moral of the story on #2 is don't buy a cheap bike and think upgrading it later will be cost effective. Save your money and buy the right bike from the start. An FS bike will cost you more than a HT with the equivalent components (minus a rear shock of course). That being said my 2012 GT Sensor 3.0 was very well equipped for the $1,400 on sale that I paid for it ($2,080 MSRP).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The Epic is a fast and nimble feeling bike. For my trails it is fun to ride. One thing to point out about the Epic...... It may be a little expensive to own due to the Brain. This unit is not 100% serviceable with basic tools. It may cost you $150 to get it serviced. But this is also one of the reasons the bike performs the way it does. You can also send the Brain out and get different tunes done to it. In my area I don't need a long travel bike. The 100mm is always fine. I also think there may be some electronic shock options that may be available one day in place of a mechanical brain. I just hope they make it 187mm long. So that is another thing to know about the Epic. It's rear shock is an odd length.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Remember the Epic is a xc race bike. For its intended purpose it is very very good including at the World Cup level. If you are not looking for a race bike then something other than an an Epic might suit you better.