Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Specialized Enduro or Felt Redemption 2 - Help a Newbie Out

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Garagemonkey 
#1 ·
Been huckin this pig of a Jeep bike for a year or so. Got it back in '02 brand new, but didn't really start riding hard 'till this year. Yeah, it's a joke of a bike and it weighs 42.5lbs, but I guess by comparison it should make be a better rider once I get on a proper bike.

I'm 5'10", 165lbs, and have about a 33-34 inch inseam. I ride mostly long, technical climbs, some fast downhill, and some big drops. Mostly Daley Ranch and Lake Hodges in San Diego and some trails in Moab, UT. Average rides are 10-milers give or take, but I'd like to start doing some longer stuff once I'm on a bike that doesn't wear me down so much.

I'm gonna step up to a much better bike and have narrowed it between these 2:

'08 Felt Redemption 2 (medium)
'09 Specialized Enduro Expert (large)

The Felt is on closeout and brand new. The Specialized is a demo in excellent condition and has about 5 rides on it. Both bikes are stock. The Specialized is about $900 more than the Felt. I really want a proper all mountain bike that I won't outgrow in the near future and that I won't have to upgrade the hell out of as my skills improve.

What you y'all think? Comments, suggestions, other bikes to consider?

Thanks much.

See less See more
#2 ·
That Jeep looks interesting.

Would the 17.5 inch Felt frame will be large enough? The Felt has 165mm in back and 160mm up front while the Enduro is 150mm. I am thinking you would get some considerable weight savings on the Enduro. The Enduro is also better spec'd, but you noted that it would cost $900 more. With that said, I am partial to the Redemption for two reasons:

1. The Equilink suspension is better than Specialized old and tired FSR system.
2. Half the bikes I see on the trails where I live are Specialized. This may just be vain, but I would want something different.

For other bikes to consider:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/2415/32131/
http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Iron-Horse-6-Point-6-All-Mountain
Santa Cruz Nomad - see if you can find one on closeout

#5 ·
I think the Enduro would be a better bike than the Felt. The reviews that I took a look at on the felt werent really all that high. I think the only real knock on the Enduro is that it tends to be a bit over priced. If you are going to go big you might as well take a look at the Reign. The other thing is if you are planning on putting in big rides maybe you want to go lighter with something like the Trance . Heres a Reign thats like new.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/1260172963.html

#6 ·
I have the redemption 2 and love it, buts I also have a 5inch xc bike that I use most of the time.

I live and ride In SD like you, and theres not really any trail I cant hit with my redemption that I cant go down on my XC bike. I can just decend much faster on the redemption. The redemption is pretty heavy ~34 lbs and can become quite a chore on climbs.

I tested an enduro and it felt like a beefed up XC bike, where as the redemption feels more like a light free ride bike.

If i were only going to have 1 bike id go with the Enduro, it felt like it would be a much better climber.

#7 ·
Okay all. Thanks very much for the posts. Getting me looking in areas I didn't know of/consider before. Plus, some threads on the Felt steering angles has me wavering a little on that brand.

Checking now for used Giant Reign and Reign X bikes. Also checking for Specialized Enduros and Stumpys, Titus, etc. Want a bit more than a dedicated XC bike, but my buddies are talking about starting to get into 24hr team races, so I'll probably want something a little closer to the 30-lb range that I can bomb downhill when necessary (note - I'm not that great, but hope to improve).

What's the weight of something like a Reign X2 or X1 or a Reign 1 or Reign 2?

Learning a lot on this site. Great info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.