mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Specialized Eduro FSR Vs. Proflex 755

I'm trying to decide which of the two to buy. I am willing to livest further into them I just want to know which is a better deal and which frame is the best so i can keep adding better stuff. Also I'm thinking of getting some hydraulic disc breaks and i want to know if A there compatible and B if its a worth while investment.

1998 Specialized FSR

Shimano components
    Specialized Cranks
    riser bards
    Manitou fork
    Rock Shox Rear shock
    $300

Proflex 755
    XTR deraillers
    Hydraulic Brakes
    LX hubs
    LX Crank
    8-speed cassette
    Grip shift shifters
    Clipless pedals
    Neoprene "suspension" pads need to be replaced
    $124
    Last edited by Arcanon; 04-28-2009 at 01:38 PM.

There's no app for this.

forget both

you will not be able to get suspension parts for either, move on, save your $ and buy a bike that can at least be serviced. Jim

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What about a KHS FR 1500 downhill frame for $180

mtbr member
    Actually, the old FSR is a pretty good bike. You can get an updated shock (6.5 X 1.5 will work) and even an updated link. The frame is solid and the bushings can be changed to bearings. You can buy these from BETD.com.

However, realize that any bike that is 10+ years old (suspension) is going to need work! Both those bikes came with low end forks and shocks. However, they can be upgraded with newer units to give a respectable ride.

You got pics?

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    If you're trying to keep it to $300 I'd recommend looking at hardtails or even full rigids only. You'll get much more bang for your buck.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The underlined words are links to the pics and stuff.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    If the $300 Specy is in good shape and fits - buy it and ride it into the ground.

Start saving for something newer where you can upgrade parts. If you are lucky, when it dies, you will be able so salvage some useable parts (mechs, shifters, seat, etc) that you can use to offset the cost of the next bike.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    If the $300 Specy is in good shape and fits - buy it and ride it into the ground.
    He'll ride it into the ground in about 3 rides would be my guess. I'm of the mind that a simple, $300 newer hardtail would serve the OP better. It'll last a lot longer without components breaking at least. Bikes are not cars, they wear out fast. 10 years on a bike is like 30 years on a car. Generally speaking a bike should be good for about 4-5 years unless you take immaculate care in maintaining it.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I´d agree with Clutchman here.
    Especially if your new into bikes, you don´t know a lot about maintenance.

Maybe you should go to a local dealer. I think you need to spend at least 500$ for an entry level hardtail. This will have warranty, was tuned up by someone who knows his stuff and it will also have no secret history of chrashes or whatever.

I love bikes, can take care of them in every aspect and sometimes I snatch a gem, like an old rigid hardtail in like new condition etc.
    Even then, the tires, brakepads, lines etc. often need to be replaced, simply because they are 10 years old, even if they´re not used. (not to speak of seals and wipers in forks and shocks)

And every single old bike I got, even if it was a steal originally ends up as a money-eater.
    Now, if I had to pay the labor for all the work on those things and I wouldn´t enjoy working on them, it would be even worse

Long story short: Go to your LBS, not every LBS wants to rip you off (as some people say, here in the internet) and if they recommend not their cheapest bike, that may be also not a lie, but a good recommendation.

Greetings Znarf