mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Spec Rockhopper Comp Disc for $450?

I have the opportunity to buy a used 2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc for $450. I haven't seen the bike yet. They have multiple sizes available and they are lightly used. They have only been trail ridden a couple of times. Its from a camp that buys them and uses them for a year and then sells them. I know the guy selling them and he is a rider.

I was going to buy a Forge Sawback 5xx later this spring. This deal on the Rockhopper is only good for a short time as he is actively trying to sell them.

Looking at the specs, the Forge is spec'd better overall I think. The biggest thing I see different is the fork, but from what I have read they are both entry level forks and there isn't much difference between them.

The Front Derailleur is a big difference as the Rockhopper is an Altus level and the Forge is a DEORE level. I am not sure the difference between the Rear Derailleurs though as I don't know where the SRAM X-5 on the Rockhopper compares to the Deore level on the Forge.

Anyways, I am a casual rider and I will be riding dirt roads, two tracks, fire roads and some single track. I am a newbie. Any LBS is about 45-1hr away so it is not easy to hit a store and do some shopping. I am a

Forge Sawback 5xx:

Frameset
    Size: 19" FRAME / STANDOVER HEIGHT 31.7"
    Color: MATTE BLUE / SILVER
    Frame: 6061 ALL ALUMINUM, DOUBLE-BUTTED, HYDROFORMED GUSSET, WITH DISC AND RACK/ FENDER MOUNTS
    Front Suspension: ROCKSHOX DART 1 W/ADJUSTABLE PRELOAD, 100MM TRAVEL
    Wheels
    Rims: WTB SPEEDDISC, 32-HOLE
    Hubs: JOYTECH ALLOY QR DISC 32H
    Spokes: 14G STAINLESS STEEL
    Tires: ITS NINJA 26X2.1"
    Drivetrain
    Speed: 27
    Shifters: SHIMANO DEORE
    Front Derailleur: SHIMANO ALIVIO
    Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE
    Crankset: TRUVATIV ISOFLOW ALUMINUM TRIPLE 22/32/42T
    Bottom Bracket: VP SEALED CARTRIDGE
    Cassete: SRAM PG950, 34-11T, 9 SPEED
    Chain: SHIMANO HG73
    Pedals: ALLOY PLATFORM
    Components
    Saddle: WTB PURE V SPORT
    Seat Post: ALLOY 30.8X350MM, ADJUST WITH QUICK RELEASE
    Handlebar: MTB-ALLOY 30MM RISE
    Stem: FORGE-ALLOY 105MM
    Grips: WTB TRAIL
    Brake Set: AVID BB-5, MECHANICAL DISC
    Brake Levers: TEKTRO ALLOY
    Extras: PRESTA VALVES, CATEYE REFLECTOR SET, TWO WATER BOTTLE MOUNTS, STORAGE RACK & FENDER MOUNTS CLEAR COAT PAINT FINISH AND OWNERS MANUAL

Rockhopper Comp Disc:

FRAME
    Specialized M4 fully manipulated alloy frame, fully butted, ORE DT, externally relieved HT, forged dropouts w/ replaceable derailleur hanger, disc only
    REAR SHOCK
    FORK
    RockShox Dart 3 SL, 80/100mm, 1 piece magnesium lower, alloy steerer, adj. reb. damping w/ LO and preload adj., size-specific spring rates, disc only
    HEADSET
    1-1/8" threadless, loose ball
    STEM
    3D forged alloy, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp
    HANDLEBARS
    Butted alloy riserbar, 25mm rise, 660mm wide, 8 degree back sweep, 7 degree up sweep
    GRIPS
    Specialized Enduro, dual compound Kraton, no flange, 131mm
    FRONT BRAKE
    Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    REAR BRAKE
    Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS
    Avid FR-5, alloy, two-finger linear pull
    FRONT DERAILLEUR
    Shimano Altus, 34.9mm clamp
    REAR DERAILLEUR
    SRAM X-5, mid cage
    SHIFT LEVERS
    SRAM X4-R trigger
    CASSETTE
    SRAM PG-830, 8-speed, 11-32t
    CHAIN
    KMC X8 w/ reuseable Missing Link
    CRANKSET
    SR SunTour, Octalink spline
    CHAINRINGS
    42S x 32S x 22S replaceable
    BOTTOM BRACKET
    Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm
    PEDALS
    Steel cage, composite body, 9/16"
    RIMS
    Alex RHD 26", pinned, alloy double wall, eyelets, 28h front and 32h rear
    FRONT HUB
    Forged alloy, hi/low flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount, 32h
    REAR HUB
    Forged alloy, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount, cassette, 32h
    SPOKES
    2mm (14g) stainless
    FRONT TIRE
    Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
    REAR TIRE
    Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
    INNER TUBES
    Schraeder valve
    SADDLE
    Specialized Rockhopper XC, Body Geometry, 143mm width, front and rear bumpers
    SEATPOST
    Alloy two bolt, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 30.9mm
    SEAT BINDER
    Forged alloy QR, brass washer
    NOTES
    Chain stay protector, reflectors, clear coat, owners manual
    Last edited by Paladin54; 01-23-2011 at 06:38 PM.

FKA Malibu412
    Tough call as both will offer very similar riding experiences. The Forge will be new, all yours and probably have some form of warranty. The Spesh, not so much.

Overall, the specs edge goes to the Spesh. The Dart 3 is better than the 1. Both have BB5 stoppers. I think you will realize the limitations of the Forge sooner in your progress than you would with the RH although the Forge is 9 speed.

Cliffs: RH slightly > 5xx
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The more research I do the more I am leaning towards the Rockhopper now. The SRAM components seem pretty close to the Shimano stuff on the Forge. The rockhopper has a better fork and a lighter frame.

A big plus for the rockhopper is I can ride it first. The guy selling them has multiple sizes so I can find the one I like best. The forge is an internet buy I would have to take a chance on.

I think I will jump on the rockhopper. these are virtually brand new bikes. I don't think I can beat the price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'd opt for the hopper, too.