mtbr member

Soup to nuts BMC Trailfox build!

I am posting my upcoming first time complete mtn bike build - an 08 BMC Trailfox 01. I have never done a top to bottom build like this, so I'm sure I'll be looking for tips and opinions, as well as comparisons. I already have a good idea what I want to hang from the bike and some parts are already to go. First off is a complete paint strip, fill some minor dings, and then a powdercoat. Too bad, because this frame has a sweet paint/decal scheme that I probably will not be able to duplicate. Thinking of just white/silver combo for the front triangle and just white (leaving the carbon alone) on the rear triangle.

Stay tuned for updated pics as this project unfolds here on the forum!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soup to nuts BMC Trailfox build!-bmc-trailfox-build-001.jpg  

Soup to nuts BMC Trailfox build!-bmc-trailfox-build-002.jpg  

Soup to nuts BMC Trailfox build!-bmc-trailfox-build-003.jpg  

Soup to nuts BMC Trailfox build!-bmc-trailfox-build-004.jpg  

Soup to nuts BMC Trailfox build!-bmc-trailfox-build-005.jpg  

08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

pvd
    mtbr member
    1. Complete waste of money unless you do your own painting, then very cool. KISS. Painted carbon is the new black carbon.

2. Cane Creek headsets are the only game in town.

3. Get a real shock for it. ie. Vivid & Revelation. ebay should provide lots of cheap options for the old fashioned head tube.

4. BMC doesn't make mountain bikes.

5. Just run it as is a build a bike from scratch!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd View Post
    1. Complete waste of money unless you do your own painting, then very cool. KISS. Painted carbon is the new black carbon.

2. Cane Creek headsets are the only game in town. CK also makes an Inset headset

3. Get a real shock for it. ie. Vivid & Revelation. ebay should provide lots of cheap options for the old fashioned head tube.

4. BMC doesn't make mountain bikes.

5. Just run it as is a build a bike from scratch!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Have fun with your BMC project. (Yes, BMC makes mountain bikes.) I did a build on an '08 Trailfox02 about 6 months ago. It was a budget build with most of the components found on sale/closeout/Chainlove/etc.

Magura Durin Marathon 120mm fork
    Fox RP23 shock
    Hayes ElCamino hydraulic brakes
    XT shifter & derailleur
    Deore crank w/ RaceFace bashguard
    Mavic CrossRide wheels
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires
    Easton EA70 stem, EA50 Monkeybar
    Raceface Evolve seatpost
    WTB Silverado saddle
    DMR v12mag pedals

mtbr member
    Nice Trailfox! That looks like more then 120mm up front? I've got a Velvet set at 130mm to start, but I can bring it down if it wanders on climbs. How does the rear feel on rough trails and downhills? Waiting on the powdercoat, but have everything else ready to go...can't wait to hit the trails!
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The Trailfox has a real good ride. The rear is nice and stiff and can soak up just about anything you ride over (within reason for a 120mm travel bike). A lot of the feel (plush or not) depends on how you setup the shock. I run the RP23 a couple of psi low and ride with the propedal on most of the time. Its soaks up the small & med bumps and eliminates bob so it climbs well.

The stanctions on the Magura Durin fork are 6" but its actual travel is around 5". I love this fork. Its super plush and as good or better than any Fox I've ridden.

Post pics once you get it built.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This is a dw-link right? Why does it say "virtual pivot system" instead on the chain stay?

mtbr member
    Similar, like the Giant Meastro is, but does not fall under the DW-link patent. I guess just different enough to warrant its own "virtual" suspension design. Can't wait to ride it as I've only ridden single-pivot and hardtails! Picking up the p-coated frame today!
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Interesting...to me, the placement of the links looks exactly as it would on a DW frame. I wonder how they got around the patent...maybe something to do with a different axle path of the rear wheel than the DW-link.
    Anyways, good luck on your build and keep us posted!

mtbr member

June 26th Update:

Here are some more pics of the fresh powder coated front triangle with new bearings, a Deus seatpost, carbon cage, and BMC decals. The rear has been sand blasted around the carbon and is ready for finish work being done at home. I have all new Enduro Max cartridge bearings (4 sets) on all the pivots, so this frame should be tight when reassembled!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soup to nuts BMC Trailfox build!-summer-2011-june-078.jpg  

Soup to nuts BMC Trailfox build!-summer-2011-june-080.jpg  

Soup to nuts BMC Trailfox build!-summer-2011-june-076.jpg  

Soup to nuts BMC Trailfox build!-summer-2011-june-084.jpg  

Soup to nuts BMC Trailfox build!-summer-2011-june-088.jpg  

Last edited by NH Mtbiker; 06-27-2011 at 04:08 AM.
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    What do you mean by Enduro seals for the pivots? Are you referring to Enduro bearings? If not, I was unaware they made such a thing.

mtbr member

Enduro suspension bearing kit

Meant to say enduroforkseals.com. Picked up my suspension cartridge bearing kit there for $34! I received a total of 4 sets - 2 sets for the rear shock and a set for each triangle. You can also order individual pivot bearings there if you just wanted to change out your rocker or frame set. They came out pretty good and went back in nice too. Just waiting on a seal kit from DT Swiss for the shock. A cheap and easy way to tighten up most any full suspension frame and make it like new again... I think they recommend doing it every year, depending on how much you ride.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id269.html
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member

August update

Been riding the snot out of this bike! Still breaking in the brakes and new seals, but feels great so far! Next year I plan on a drop post and a Stans 650b front wheel setup to change it up a bit. If you can find a BMC fs at a good price - jump on it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soup to nuts BMC Trailfox build!-summer-july2-012.jpg  

Soup to nuts BMC Trailfox build!-summer-july2-011.jpg  

08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    Good looking bike!
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli