Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

So its less than 1 month until the Horst-Link patent expires...

and it happens 2 days AFTER the sea-otter bike festival ends. Anyone wanna bet we'll see some horst-link bikes on display destined for the US market from foreign brands ? Maybe some new models from established brands who will finally abandon seatstay dropout pivots ?

The 5,509,679 patent, which covered the dropout pivots positioned between the chainstay and dropout, below and ahead of the axle was a continuation patent filed before changes to the US patent law took effect on June 8, 1995 which meant it got the longer duration of either 20 years from the earliest filing date (which being a continuation of prior filed patent applications meant January 1992) or 17 years from the issue date which was April 23, 1996.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Really interesting to see what happens. Are any big companies using this design in Europe, and is there any chance of an extension?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Cube, Ghost, Lapierre among others. There are literally DOZENS of brands using horst-links which simply don't bother with the US market because Specialized refused to license the patent, or wanted outrageous fees to do so.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks, I didn't know. I think Scott used the system in Europe at some time in the past too. I hope it's a great design and Specialized receives enough competition to really hurt them.