mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Sloping Gusseted Frame SeatPost Insertion

Hello Guys,

I bought my new bike and I have a question about how much should I insert the seat post in order to not break the frame.
    I've been searching for this, and I know that you should not over pass the minimum mark in the seat post and that you should have inserted in order to the seat post to be bellow the cross between the seat tube and the top tube.
    I'm not over passing the minimum seat post mark, but in order to go bellow the cross of seat-head tubes, I need to have the saddle to low for me.
    I don't know if in this case the "bellow the cross of head-set tube" applies because of the sloping and the gusset.
    I know I might need a bigger frame, but if I can go safely above the head-seat tube cross, this bike would fit me.
    Here are some pictures:
    Sloping Gusseted Frame SeatPost Insertion-dsc00494_small.jpgSloping Gusseted Frame SeatPost Insertion-dsc00496_small.jpg
    In the picture, the seatpost is set to the height that confortable for me. Actually 1cm higher would be good too. But if you look at the second picture the seatpost is not passing the head-seat tube cross. The seat post is where the 40cm meassure is.
    Any advise?
    Maybe someone with a similar frame and similar seat tube height can tell me from personal experience.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    You need a bigger frame. That is too much seat post and you are going to break the frame eventually. I would not go above the TT-ST junction with the seat post and you will need a super long seatpost to do that.
    There was a thread a few years ago on min seatpost insertion:
    maximum seat pot height vs frame size

Check out what happened to these Haro frames:
    saving a cracked frame??

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think you are right.
    It's hard to find bikes in my size, that's why I was hoping I could use this one.
    I saw other bikes with similar frames and a lot of seat post exposed, but they have full suspension. I think that matters.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by diegomtb; 06-03-2013 at 04:53 PM.