mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Slackening head angle

Hi guys,
    I have a Carver Transalpin 130 and have lately ridden it a lot in the bikepark as well. I love the way it pedals uphill but its okay for descending. I would like to make the head angle slacker for more stability when I am descending. How could I do this? Picture: [Full Size]Attachment 843579
    Maybe it would be possible to remove the spacers from under the handlebar stem and then place some spacers under the steerer? Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Don't put spacers under your steer tube = probable death.

Contact your bike mfg to check into putting a longer fork on that bike. They may give you the OK to add some fork length.

Your other option is to get a slackset/angleadjust headset. The ability to run this depends on your bike's headtube confiuration, your fork configuration, headtube length, etc. It's worth looking into this as your primary option as it will be the cheaper than getting a new fork.

Last option is to get a new/another bike for park days or "bigger" days. "insert AM" if you're into that marketing term...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks, mnigro for your suggestions. What angle set would I need? I probably don't want to buy a new bike or fork (yet). Ill wait a few more years and then get more bang for buck. I have a tapered headtube. Will an angleset work at all?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You will need to get the head tube dimensions from your bike shop or the manufacturer, diameters of top and bottom cups as well as head tube length. Also need to know straight or tapered steer tube fork. Last, you need to know take those numbers and see if Workscomponents or Cane Creek make an accommodating head set.

I personally didn't see a whole lot of difference when I used an angle adjust headset. I see a bigger difference going to a fat ass front tire.

What fork is on that bike now?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Put as short of a reach stem as you can comfortably get away with, and the widest front tire that your fork will accommodate. That will slow your steering down more than an angle adjust headset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That is backwards. Long stem slows down steering, short stem speeds it up.

You should still drop that stem down and run wide bars 725mm plus. The wide bars will add stability and slow down steering much more and the shorter stem will make it easier to get weight back. a fat front tire wouldn't hurt things.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Ok thanks a lot for the suggestions. The short stem method sounds very good. I just measured, my bars are 70 cm wide syntace. As for the stem mine is 10 cm from center of headset to end of bars. What stem would you recommend? The ones I found were Truvativ Hussefelt and Spank Spoon.It should relatively cheap and light. I am 14 and currently 164cm tall, so ill see about the handlebar. I already have the widest front tire for my fox float 32 120 FIT performance fork, a Schwalbe Fat Albert evolution 2.45" enduro tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    For stem length, I think you measure from the headset bolt to the center of the bars, or to the gap in the clamp. Not sure though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Using mnigro's method, my stem measures about 8 cm

mtbr member
    Using a shorter stem helps shift your weight back (to keep cockpit feeling comfy, you tend to slide your side back just a hair). It's a double edged sword. It keeps you from feeling like you'll go ove the bars. But at the same time, it lightens your front and push the front end. So you have to consciencously apply pressure on the bars to get the front to hook.

Running a longer fork is somewhat of a band-aid. Yeah, it slackens your head tube. But it also raises your bottom bracket and so you have a tall/tippy feel in your handling.

I'd say do the shorter stem and wider bar. If you need more, it may be time to look for a new frame (not brand new...but new to you) that meets your current riding needs.
    Just get out and ride!