mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Should I get a new/used 26 frame to replace or jump up to 29 and scrap 26 build?

A big hello out there to fellow bikers. I currently have an 18 inch frame that I think might be too small. Two bike shops I've been to told me right away that the frame looks too small. Since the frame has no decals, I measured the frame at 18 inches/26 wheel size, and I'm 5'11. I'm not sure what to do and could use some opinions. Should I buy another 26 wheel size frame and little bigger than the one I have, or scrap the thought of getting another 26 frame and get a 29er??
    The current 26 frame is built up as a single speed but I've been seeing alot of the 29ers out there and starting to think maybe the 26 is becoming obsolete?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Should I get a new/used 26 frame to replace or jump up to 29 and scrap 26 build?

Sounds like it would be most economical to keep the 26" single speed as it is and buy a 29er complete. At 5'11 you should be able to make the single speed work with the right stem and seat post.

If new is your bag check out Airborne Cycles, you won't go wrong with a seeker or goblin. There's also some pretty sweet deals kicking around on Marin bikes at the moment. Otherwise lots of great used deals to be had on craigslist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by coxinio View Post
    Sounds like it would be most economical to keep the 26" single speed as it is and buy a 29er complete. At 5'11 you should be able to make the single speed work with the right stem and seat post.

If new is your bag check out Airborne Cycles, you won't go wrong with a seeker or goblin. There's also some pretty sweet deals kicking around on Marin bikes at the moment. Otherwise lots of great used deals to be had on craigslist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply. Just for the heck of it, if I did decide to try another 26 frame, they are pretty hard to find. Seems like everything is 27 or 29.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I will check out Airborne Cycles and Marin, and also craigslist. Thanks and I would like to hear from some others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie88 View Post
    A big hello out there to fellow bikers. I currently have an 18 inch frame that I think might be too small. Two bike shops I've been to told me right away that the frame looks too small. Since the frame has no decals, I measured the frame at 18 inches/26 wheel size, and I'm 5'11. I'm not sure what to do and could use some opinions. Should I buy another 26 wheel size frame and little bigger than the one I have, or scrap the thought of getting another 26 frame and get a 29er??
    The current 26 frame is built up as a single speed but I've been seeing alot of the 29ers out there and starting to think maybe the 26 is becoming obsolete?
    I'd definitely stick with 26, just make sure you get something with geometry that allows you to reuse all (or as many as possible) of your current parts if you're going to move everything over.

26 is a lot of fun and 29 is a lot of fun. I've kept my 26" HT XC bike because I like it, and if you're looking for bang for your buck, upgrading your frame is probably the best you can do.

That said, I assumed you're riding a hardtail, and a FS would be more expensive as a total % of bike. Also, you didn't mention your frame's fork type. Assuming you have a decent fork that you want to keep and you can find a frame with the same fork type, that'd absolutely help make a frame upgrade the best bang for your buck.

I'm 6'2" and prefer L over XL frames as personal preference, but feel like my 21" 26er frame is a bit small. A larger frame would probably be a good idea. As for 26" frames, Pricepoint had a great deal on a Sette carbon frame for something crazy like $300 this year, and just recently had a carbon Haro frame...if you wait for a sale, there's lots of crazy good deals for 26" frames that pop up, and looking for a used bike isn't a bad idea either, as lots of people are willing to part with good 26" bikes at low prices to jump on 27.5.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    I'd definitely stick with 26, just make sure you get something with geometry that allows you to reuse all (or as many as possible) of your current parts if you're going to move everything over.

26 is a lot of fun and 29 is a lot of fun. I've kept my 26" HT XC bike because I like it, and if you're looking for bang for your buck, upgrading your frame is probably the best you can do.

That said, I assumed you're riding a hardtail, and a FS would be more expensive as a total % of bike. Also, you didn't mention your frame's fork type. Assuming you have a decent fork that you want to keep and you can find a frame with the same fork type, that'd absolutely help make a frame upgrade the best bang for your buck.

I'm 6'2" and prefer L over XL frames as personal preference, but feel like my 21" 26er frame is a bit small. A larger frame would probably be a good idea. As for 26" frames, Pricepoint had a great deal on a Sette carbon frame for something crazy like $300 this year, and just recently had a carbon Haro frame...if you wait for a sale, there's lots of crazy good deals for 26" frames that pop up, and looking for a used bike isn't a bad idea either, as lots of people are willing to part with good 26" bikes at low prices to jump on 27.5.
    Thanks