mtbr member
    Sep 2013

We the people ... Should I buy a new bike?

Iv been mountain biking for a little over a year now and I think its time I get a new bike. Currently im rockin an 100% original 88 rockhopper in Dinucci green that my dad bought new that year. It has full Simano Deore components with an untold amount number of miles and crashes.The terrain where I usually ride is very rocky with few smooth sections (Michigan's Keewenaw peninsula more specifically copper harbor and other local trails). After a recent shoulder injury (captured on my gopro) I find it much more difficult to absorb the bumps with my arms without agitating my shoulder. I would like a nice full squish but $2500 isnt in my budget.

Iv thought of four different routes I could go with a budget of roughly $500:

1) Upgrading the rigid fork to a good suspension fork. However the head tube has a 1" diameter so a modern fork wont work.

2) Buy a modern frame along with a used RockShox Reba and transferring what ever else I can. However my dad said I can NOT cannibalize the rock hopper for parts. This dramatically increases the cost of the build. I feel like I would end up with a crappy frame with crappy components with a pretty good fork.

3) I buy a complete bike in my price range of around 500 dollars.

4) Stop being a Nancy and ride the bike I have.

My question for you guys is do I buy/build a new bike or do stick with what I got?

Cycle Psycho
    Save up a lot more money and build a bike, take your time, and make sure every component is exactly what you want. It's somewhat rewarding to ride what you "built".

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Should I buy a new bike?

I agree not a lot to work with there. Don't waste your money on any 1" fork. I would save for a decent used bike with a tapered head tube increasing upgradeability.

I really doubt any fork, even a brand new 5 inch fox float, will change your shoulder situation. As soon as you experience the magic of a good fork you'll start pushing the limits with it and again you will be held back by pain. So regardless of what your bike situation is, focus on strengthening your shoulder and physical therapy.