mtbr member

Should I buy this bike? (GF Cake 1 DLX)

Is this a good bike for me?
    I'm 34 years old, 6'1'', and weigh 200lbs. I've been riding road bikes for four years but am beginning to ride more off road lately and would like to upgrade from my pretty basic 2005 Specialized Rock Hopper to a nicer ride. The guys I've been riding with do mostly XC and all-mountain trails. My budget is under $1500 and I'm looking to buy a one or two year old bike rather than a new one.
    Thanks in advance. I'm checking out this bike tomorrow morning (check out the link below). Is the price about right?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/bik/405987744.html

mtbr member
    Check the prices out on Ebay. They are a lot lower. The only Cake 1 I saw was a buildup similarly equipped that sold for $920. I am not sure about the Nixon fork on the bike you are looking at The OE fork was 130 mm and the new one is 145. Cake I think has also been replaced by something else I think. Have you ever thought of Stumpjumper?

mtbr member
    Cakes have a slight history of chain suck, but other then that, they are nice bikes. I personally think that the price is a bit on the high side.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

mtbr member

How bad is chain suck?

Yeah, I read about the chain suck issue. Is that a "deal breaker" for buying this bike? What's the worst that could happen with a little chain suck from time to time? If $1,400 is a little on the high side what's a reasonable price?
    Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    I think the price is pretty close to what it will sell for. If you had an idea what it originally sold for two years ago then try to get it for half that price. Thats my rule of thumb. A lot of bikes will go for a little less than half. There is also a lot of price resistance above $1100 or so. Fall is kind of a buyers market for bikes. The fork is a slight downgrade i think but the rest of the bike looks ok. He has a couple of things going on the bike that says he might not budge. If the crankset is a new XT 770 or even 760 thats a plus and it looks like it has a new cassette and chain and fork is new. I think the new stuff pushes the bike from say $1150-1250 to his asking price. Still the bike should have a real nice fit. It looks like a nice bike, maybe one you could race or ride trails all day. Take a close look at the fork and hit a couple of bumps with it.

mtbr member
    You the man....thanks for the help.