mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Short travel race FS 29er: Jet 9 vs Superfly 100 vs Epic Carbon

I'm looking for a 29er race bike for this coming up race season. I current have a Fuel EX 9.9 which has been serving as my trail bike and race rig. It's time to move up to the bigger wheels and use the Fuel as my fun trail and longer travel rig, and use the 29er as my 6/12hr and 50/100 mile race bike.

I'm having a really hard time finding the bikes I posted in the titles as demos. It seems that everyone has niner hardtail demos, but no one has the Jet 9. Also, no Trek demo days near me any time soon, and all the shops have the al GF version vs the superfly. I know on my Trek it made a big difference in stiffness going from AL (EX8) to CF (EX9.9) so I actually want to ride the bike I'm planning on buying. I'm thinking if there was a Carbon Jet 9 I would just get that.......

Having said all that, I have some questions that I'm hoping will find some answers:

1) What is the difference really between these 3? The geometry looks fairly close enough. Obviously the Jet is al vs carbon for the other 2. Is the frame as stiff as the competition?

2) Will the Spesh ride that much different with it's brain shock? The SuperFly and Spesh have the same looking simple pivot suspension with the SuperFly having ABP and the Spesh having the brain as the primary difference it seems. The Jet has the CVA suspension, so I'm thinking it can actually be plusher with better pedaling, with the more efficient suspension design.

2) Out of these 3, which would you guys recommend? I'm a Trek fanboi, so leaning towards the SuperFly, but open to the other 2.

3) Anything else out there in this class of bike that I should be looking at? I thought about the Tallboy, but after getting reviews of that bike and looking at geometry it has more of a "on top of the bike" feel rather then "in the bike" and that worries me. I also have a friend that traded his Tallboy in for a Spesh Epic Carbon because of that very reason.

edit: Also forgot about the GIANT Anthem X 29er. Not carbon either, but that one would go up nicely against the Jet9...

Thanks!
    -Tom
    Last edited by trhoppe; 01-11-2011 at 01:08 PM.