mtbr member
    May 2012

Shopping for replacement after bikes stolen

Hello, I just joined this thread after lurking for awhile. I've been reading reviews here to get ideas for what bike to get to replace two bikes that were stolen a few years ago. My older bikes were cheap junk and not worth talking about, and now I'm ready for the real thing.

I have found two bikes here locally that friends, or friends of friends are willing to part with (I have found nothing worth while on CL, and the local shops have a very spartan collection of used bikes). The two I'm considering are a 1997 Pro Flex 857 (asking $450). The owner of this one is the second owner, and doesn't seem to be that into cycling, because he isn't sure if the equipment is all stock or not. I'll have a chance to ride that one tomorrow. Then there's a 1997/98 (not sure which) Cannondale killer v 900 with upgraded shocks (Judy) and other parts (asking price is $500). I am also very interested in the Marin B17 if I can find one for a good price (I'm having trouble finding them at all), or something like that if anyone can point me in the right direction for where to look or give advice (please give advice pertaining to YOUR personal experience with these bikes).

I appreciate any help you guys/gals can give!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Oh yea, I'm 6' tall, 175 lbs, 31/32" inseam, and nearly 31 years of age.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Ever thought of spending your $500 on something like this instead of those two old bikes ?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have been looking at newer entry level bikes as well, but I can get an older frame with top of the line components, or a newer frame with entry level components, and reviews of these entry level components makes me realize I will have to drop at LEAST another few hundred to make it great. I would certainly consider a newer entry level if it had decent components. I am of the opinion though, that a really good frame is still really good, even after newer frames exist. Plus, if that really good old frame has great components, why spend the same for a newer good frame with low end components? These old bikes that I'm looking at have a proven track record.

Still, I am reading more reviews all the time for newer bikes. Maybe I'll find a peach. Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatta View Post
    I have been looking at newer entry level bikes as well, but I can get an older frame with top of the line components, or a newer frame with entry level components, and reviews of these entry level components makes me realize I will have to drop at LEAST another few hundred to make it great. I would certainly consider a newer entry level if it had decent components. I am of the opinion though, that a really good frame is still really good, even after newer frames exist. Plus, if that really good old frame has great components, why spend the same for a newer good frame with low end components? These old bikes that I'm looking at have a proven track record.

Still, I am reading more reviews all the time for newer bikes. Maybe I'll find a peach. Thanks for the input!
    this is not true. I would not say 2001 deore xt components are as good as deore components these days. Also, if aluminum frames are ridden heavily with regularity, they can fail at the 5 year mark (many on here believe this). Even the manufacturers have stated taht aluminum will fail after about 10 years. 97 is just too old of a bike. You might take to the bike store, and they'll quote you $1000 just to make it work as well as a new bike.

Suspension design has changed/improved. Plus they have a limited life. Forget a 12 year old shock, lets say you get a 3 year old used shock. It probably has not been maintained (maintenance is expensive), so you need to have it rebuilt just like manufacturer recommends. You need to factor hundreds in to do have this done in your total cost of ownership.

Shifting and brake cables are supposed to be changed every year. How much will this cost? Wheel bearings, crank regreased, is that tire rubbers still good etc etc etc.

Frame design has also changed rapidly, especially on full suspension bikes.

a $500 bike 97/98 bike is really not hte answer, even if you were a pro mechanic. This is ridiculous asking price imho. Those people are really not your friends.

Spend $800 and get a brand new online direct bike.

Life Is Short
    I'd have to agree with the others, those two bikes are old. Back in 97/98 my hair was dark brown and now its almost white. I would use that $$$ and use it as a down on a 2011/12 Trek, Specialized, Kona or GT bike. Good luck.
    BTW--Proflex is out of business.

PS---back in 97/98 I still looked young too.. boohoo

mtbr member
    May 2012
    hmm.. ok, what makes newer base deore components better than old deore xt parts? What has Shimano changed?

I understand what you're saying about metal fatigue over time if it has been severely strained, but I believe a decent part of the industry belief that you must buy all new equipment (including frame) every so many years, is manufacturer hype in order to keep selling as many bikes and parts as possible. Also, consumer elitism (I don't know any of you personally, so I am NOT accusing anyone in particular of being guilty of this) plays a big part in this.. the whole idea of 'if you don't have the newest stuff, your stuff is crap'. Metal (that is properly coated) does not deteriorate by any appreciable amount just by the passage of time, rather it's the amount and level of usage. So, I go by usage rather than age. I've seen a lot of older frames on the trails, still being ridden just as hard as those with new, $2000 frames.

Another question.. How many miles of moderately hard use should be put on dampers before they should be preemptively rebuilt?

Fatcat.. I hate debt. The only thing I owe money on is my house, and that is how it's gonna stay (until the house is paid off, then NO debt). I only buy with money that I've already earned. Usually, I would just wait another month, save up another $1000 and buy a bike already outfitted how I want (or build it), But my wife and I have decided on $500, because this fall, I'm going back to school for my graduate degree and I'll have to stop working full time, so all funds beyond that $500 limit have to be saved for the two years I'll be working part time.

I am looking pretty hard at a new Giant revel 1 (or revel 0 if I can find one for a good price), but I've read not-so-great reviews about the sram components. It would be pretty sweet if I could find a left over 2011.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    hmm.. ok, what makes newer base deore components better than old deore xt parts?
    15 years of use and wear.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just found an 09 Cannondale F8, asking price $400. The guy writes, "It currently has upgraded aftermarket handle-grips, aluminum platform pedals, Trek speedometer, new "Hemisphere" on/off road tires". I don't know how good those hemisphere tires are, but I really don't plan to use it on-road. Any comments on this bike?

[Edit] bah.. I called the guy and it's only a 17" frame. I think for my measurements, I wouldn't want anything smaller than an 18".

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The engineering on components change (and usually improve) over time. over 12 years there is a big difference.

A bike is not all metal, components are not all metal. there are plastic parts, rubber parts, lubrications, etc etc

metal does fail and have limited use. cassets wear, bearings and cones wear, chains wear, rims wear, hubs wear, frames crack.

you don't know how many miles and what kind of life those frame have seen over the last 12 years.

I agree that some of it is false improvements in the industry

you are not saving money, you are committing false economy.

I'm totally for getting a used bike, just
    1. not a total ripoff, spending $500 on a $75 bike
    2. committing false economy. do you do the bike work yourself? Why don't you go ask your lbs mechanic how much it would cost to refurbish a 12 year old bike to good as new state. This is relevant because you are comparing to new bikes in this price range.
    3. patience will reward you. In the bay area, I can get 2008 fox equipped x7 bike for $750 and I haven't been looking that long. . It will likely cost less than a $500 for reason 2. If your budget is $500, then look and wait for a deal on CL.

heres one on ebay
    09 TREK 6000 Series Mountain Bike, Hardtail , 27-Speed | eBay

Generally, you should pay less than the ebay price on CL. As a seller, you have to give 17% comission to ebay/paypal + shipping. If you have local activity on CL, saves money for them and you.
    95% of hte bikes on CL are overpriced. Send lots of offers on realistic street value (lowball) or just wait for the 5% that's reasonable.

mtbr member
    hmm.. ok, what makes newer base deore components better than old deore xt parts? What has Shimano changed?

I understand what you're saying about metal fatigue over time if it has been severely strained, but I believe a decent part of the industry belief that you must buy all new equipment (including frame) every so many years, is manufacturer hype in order to keep selling as many bikes and parts as possible. Also, consumer elitism (I don't know any of you personally, so I am NOT accusing anyone in particular of being guilty of this) plays a big part in this.. the whole idea of 'if you don't have the newest stuff, your stuff is crap'. Metal (that is properly coated) does not deteriorate by any appreciable amount just by the passage of time, rather it's the amount and level of usage. So, I go by usage rather than age. I've seen a lot of older frames on the trails, still being ridden just as hard as those with new, $2000 frames.

Another question.. How many miles of moderately hard use should be put on dampers before they should be preemptively rebuilt?

Fatcat.. I hate debt. The only thing I owe money on is my house, and that is how it's gonna stay (until the house is paid off, then NO debt). I only buy with money that I've already earned. Usually, I would just wait another month, save up another $1000 and buy a bike already outfitted how I want (or build it), But my wife and I have decided on $500, because this fall, I'm going back to school for my graduate degree and I'll have to stop working full time, so all funds beyond that $500 limit have to be saved for the two years I'll be working part time.

I am looking pretty hard at a new Giant revel 1 (or revel 0 if I can find one for a good price), but I've read not-so-great reviews about the sram components. It would be pretty sweet if I could find a left over 2011.
    I hate debt too. Think of it this way. It's a lot cheaper to spend a little more to get a bike that's safe than it is to pay the medical bills if you get hurt because something fails at the wrong time.

You'll find something for $500 but just be patient and wait for the right bike.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Any opinions on this bike? I don't know the year of the frame yet, waiting for a response.

[edit] it's a 2002 frame

seller wrote: Kona Stinky featuring 5" of plush suspension travel. Marzocchi Bomber fork and Fox Vanilla R rear shock, both serviced 6 months ago. Size medium, Shimano deore derailleurs and shifters. Currently set up as a 1x9 with Raceface chain guide and FSA cranks. The Shimano deore front derauiller and chain rings are included to make this a 3x9. Comes with Hayes 9 Magnesium hydraulic brakes with 160mm rotors. Brand new Fizik Tundra seat. Custom painted at an auto body shop. No dents, a number of scratches and cable rub marks from normal riding, could be easily touched up. Maintained by licensed mechanics after every ride. Great bike for all types of biking, climbs and descends well. Comes with your choice of flat pedal and extra spring for the rear shock. Brand new this bike was $1800. Asking $500.

Life Is Short
    Thats a repainted Stinky from 2001. I wouldn't buy it. Keep searching flea bay and other sites.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hmm.. I just found an 07 Specialized hardrock pro disc, that the guy bought for his GF, and she only rode once (he says). From the pics, it looks like it just rolled off the showroom. The price sticker is even still on the frame, and legible. He's asking $325 and it's a 15" frame, which should fit my wife, and since she's been expressing interest in getting into mountain biking (she loves all the other outdoor stuff I've gotten her into.. rock climbing, whitewater, etc), I figured if I can get us both decent bikes that we can slowly add better parts to, even better. Then my friend calls me from a local pawn shop and says they just got in an 08 specialized rockhopper disc, asking $390. I'm almost certain I can get that one for $300 or a little under. I rode over there and took a quick look at it. It's in pretty good shape. It needs a tune up, and although the fork still feels pretty good, the lockout does not work.

So, what are your opinions on an 07 hardrock pro disc, and an 08 rockhopper disc?

Life Is Short
    Can't go wrong with the hard tail (almost impossible to break)

The Rockhopper, well the lockout doesnt work is a bad sign. Meaning someone
    must have ridden the hell out of it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    From reading the reviews on here, the stock fork was notorious for the lockout failing, but if I can grab that bike for $280, ride it awhile (the damping still feels decent), then put a new fork on it, it should be good to go. I honestly don't care about lockout anyway, but I know I will want to replace that stock fork with something better quality eventually. Now I just gotta get it cheap.