mtbr member
    May 2011

Shimano Equipped HL 26 Hiland FSR

Hi all. Huge fan! 1st time posting, but always lurked for info. This is the best site ever!

Well my Wife got me a new bike as a present and I decided to keep it. I had two choices, return it and buy groceries or not hurt her feelings and keep it and make the best out of it. So since my F1000 was stolen, I haven't rode in about 2 years so she wanted to do something nice and got me a Wal-Mart bike (barf!!). But I'm actually somewhat impressed. It has some "decent" gear (not the best, but decent). I looked everywhere to find info on it, and found nothing (super secrect hidden bike company..lol) So I wanted to post it and also show what I'm going to do with it.

Best I can find on anything close to this bike was this company .. "Tianjin Golden Wheel Bicycle Group" (??) ..
    http://www.goldenwheelgroup.com/eng/...how.asp?id=659

Well anywhoo ..

Specs:
    Shimano RD-M410 Alivio SGS Rear Derailleur
    Shimano EZ-Fire 7 Speed ST-EF50 Brake/Shifter
    Shimano Tourney FD-C050 Front Derailleur
    Shimano MF-TZ31 7 Speed Freewheel
    Zoom 535 Front Fork www.hlcorp.com (no clue...but not a bad fork actually)
    Promax (?) Handlebars HB-T305 / Seatpost
    Promax (?) Disc Brakes DK400 (garbage!)
    Steel Alloy Frame
    Innova 26" x 1.95" A/V HL performance tires

The frame...very good welds, STRONG solid frame, actually pretty light and decent forks. Plus, I actually love the look and feel of the bike and the blue color is pretty sweet too.

Now being it didn't cost me anything...this is what I'm replacing the junk with..

WTB SpeedDisc 26" Rims (w/Gravity hubs)
    PANARACER FIRE XC PRO Tires
    Shimano HG50 13-30 7-Speed Cassette
    Shimano ALIVIO FC-M410 Crank (black)
    Avid BB7 Disc Brakes and G3 160mm Rotors

I'm going cheap being I'm not going to throw a ton of $$ into this bike, BUT..with $225.00 of upgrades, I have a really nice bike. I found a lot of the deals on ebay.

So without spending another $1,500 on a new bike,I got very nice attractive well-built sturdy frame... with "some" decent equipment..and some small upgrades...I'm happy

Once the final parts come in, I'll be able to finish my build and get back out on the trails. I'll post pics once I'm done.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'd be wary about putting any money into a low end bike like that. If you end up really riding that bike off road, you're going to end up destroying and upgrading every part on the bike. If I were you I'd save my upgrade money and put it towards a decent front suspension bike for around $600. There are plenty of deals out there on better bikes, you don't need to spend anywhere near $1500.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession
    I'd be wary about putting any money into a low end bike like that. If you end up really riding that bike off road, you're going to end up destroying and upgrading every part on the bike. If I were you I'd save my upgrade money and put it towards a decent front suspension bike for around $600. There are plenty of deals out there on better bikes, you don't need to spend anywhere near $1500.
    Totaly understand. Being I got the bike for nothing, I only spent $225.00 total on upgrades (still waiting on delivery). And there's nothing really terrible in So FL. so I don't think the bike is gonna see that much off road abuse. There are some nice trails here, but nothing real crazy near me. And some of the bikes I was looking at, I would still drop $ on them for upgrades (especially brakes). Now, I know nothing about Zoom, but they seem like some nice front forks.. but even if they go, I can throw a $80 on a nice set of Rock Shox....but until then. I know it sounds crazy...but this is a really cool bike. I love the frame and as long as the frame is good, the small amount of upgrades aren't a big deal. I wasn't really happy at first, but after tearing the bike down..I'm really excited to make this thing work.

I just really miss my old bike. I had a Cannondale F1000 and loved it! I had it since 2001 and I saved everything I could to get it, but somehow a couple years ago, %$#%!% got through my lock. I just don't want to go crazy on a new bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well VT ...you gave me a lot to think about. And well...idea has been scrapped. I took my present back and just got my Moto 700DS I couldn't be happier! I knew better..and thx for the help in getting me on the right track.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceburgh71 View Post
    Well VT ...you gave me a lot to think about. And well...idea has been scrapped. I took my present back and just got my Moto 700DS I couldn't be happier! I knew better..and thx for the help in getting me on the right track.

Good move on getting the BD bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Any one know anything on this golden wheel group and their totem bikes? I had a look at GW-11B101and GW-11B106 they are fairly similar to the Specialized SL 2009 i think, Frame and suspension set up wise not parts ofcourse. Using that frame and replacing Forks and suspension could make you a decent bike no?