mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Seven Teres Vs. Moots YBB Vs. Dean Duke, etc...

I'm leaning towards getting a used Ti soft-tail of some sort - I've listed some of the leading contenders above. Interested to hear feedback regarding the different rear shock technology which is used on these frames - reliability, service, adjustability, ride, etc.

One specific question... Did the Teres use it's own in-house developed shock or do they get it from Moots, much like Merlin did with the Echo?

T.W.O.
    It depends on which Teres, Seven has a few different versions. I like Seven but if you want soft tail ti, get YBB, or Ibis Silk ti, Castellano still makes them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    It depends on which Teres, Seven has a few different versions.
    I've got an older short-travel fork I want to use, so I need to stick with a similar vintage frame, designed when max fork travel was 80mm. So yea, the older Teres that looks very similar to the YBB and Merlin Echo is what I'm talking about.

mtbr member
    Litespeed unicoi?
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

T.W.O.
    I'd go with either Moots or echo, it's cheaper to service them. I have both echo and extra fat as well as ybb, they ride really nice. If I want to go with seven it would be the newer version.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gthcarolina
    Litespeed unicoi?
    Yep, that's on the radar screen. That uses the same type of adjustable pressure damper as the Dean Duke, right? I've yet to see one of those come on the market in my size (17", measured to top-tube center).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    I'd go with either Moots or echo, it's cheaper to service them.
    That certainly is a consideration and one of the reasons I was favoring the YBB design. But what is the technology used in the Teres? It looks similar to the YBB but is it Seven's own design?

mtbr member

I had the earlier Unicoi

With the spring cartridge. I liked it; it worked as expected. I think the later designs had more travel. I liked the bike really well.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Here's a pic of the Seven Teres frame, reportedly 1999 vintage...

I've never seen one before like this with the pivoting chain-stay ends. Was this something they did only for a short time? While it certainly puts less stress on the BB junction than a typical soft-tail, from everything I've read that's not really a problem, so why bother with this approach???

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Soft Tail

I PM'd you about something you may be interested in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Resurrecting an older thread. I am also looking to replace my older Trek carbon frame with a Ti soft tale frame. Like the OP, frames in my size are not always available on the Pre-owned market (looking in the 18" size range of frame).

I am curious if the OP found a solution?