mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Sette Reken Hardtail Alloy Frame, build?

i recently bought a used 2009 trek 4300, 18" frame. since, i have rode a 16.5" rock hopper and a 16" trek. i really like the smaller frame, it fits me much better. while i can ride around on my bike fine, i can throw around the smaller framed bikes better. i got into MTBing to get a little exercise and to do it on a budget. ( i got a great deal, $80.00) now like i said, i can ride the current set up! but i see all the good reviews on the sette frame, http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/195...lloy-Frame.htm
    and for $131.00 shipped. and assuming im happy with all the components on my 4300 (for now)
    So, with all that said heres the question. what components will switch over?
    i cant find all the specs on the 4300. like - bottom bracket, i know the seat post is different, but i dont know about the major parts ( crank, derailleurs,)
    i am new to this, so the more info the better..
    thanks

mtbr member
    Things to watch out for will be seat post, steerer tube length, front derailleur size/style, bb is more than likely correct. Unless I missed something everything else should just bolt on.

My Reken
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    nice ride.. thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just did the same thing switching form a Giant XTC over to the Reken frame to try a smaller size. I had to switch headsets due to mine being a integrated unit on the Giant, and I needed a new seat post as well. Overall really happy with it so far.

I bought an extra derailleur hanger when I bought it, because they wont be available locally. Might be something to think about.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesrace82
    I just did the same thing switching form a Giant XTC over to the Reken frame to try a smaller size. I had to switch headsets due to mine being a integrated unit on the Giant, and I needed a new seat post as well. Overall really happy with it so far.

I bought an extra derailleur hanger when I bought it, because they wont be available locally. Might be something to think about.
    do you happen to have a model number, or what type/size i would need?
    thanks
    edit: never mind, Sette Reken Derailleur Hanger. that pretty much says it all...LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesrace82
    yep. i found it right after i asked
    thanks though

mtbr member
    Here is a list of all Sette Dearilleur hangers. If you know the proper number you can find them at any bike shop probably.

Sette Dearilleur Hanger List

The Reken is a #25
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    just an update...got the reken frame yesterday.. (love it) the bottom bracket from the trek was too wide, front derailleur size on the trek is 34.9 the sette 31.8. shoulda seen that coming since the seat tubes are different. it is at the LBS getting the cables fitted and adjustments. should have it rolling by friday..heres a pic of the size difference. TREK 18in, SETTE 16in..
    the only complaint i have so far is the rear brake cable guides. they come with little plastic clips. that scream, i see ZIP TIES in your future..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sette Reken Hardtail Alloy Frame, build?-bike2.jpg  

Sette Reken Hardtail Alloy Frame, build?-bike1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You can probably switch the bottom bracket over with appropriate spacers. I built a Reken for my GF, it is a great frame for the money.

David B.

mtbr member
    yeah just get spacers.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    yeah just get spacers.
    how does that work? the BB on the trek is wider then the BB on the reken. do the spacers thread on the outer part of the BB, and this makes the BB wider? i already got a new BB installed. just wondering. thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyh
    how does that work? the BB on the trek is wider then the BB on the reken. do the spacers thread on the outer part of the BB, and this makes the BB wider? i already got a new BB installed. just wondering. thanks
    Other way around. The spacers go between the frame and the bb. Essentially turning the 68mm bb shell into a 73mm bb shell.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyh

Spacers go against the BB shell , you need three spacers , two on the drive side , one on the non-drive side . Follow the link below .

www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=94