mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Seeking Opinions - Commuter/Do-it-all Bike

Hey everyone, thought I'd try my luck in the general forum.
    About me: I currently ride a 29er singlespeed, rigid MTB.
    I currently use my MTB for the trails and also to commute to work.
    With a SS, top end speed is not quite there so looking to get a 2nd bike.

The current dream bike is the Spot Brand Mod SS:
    http://spotbrand.com/bikes/product-page/mod-ss/

But recently at local REI I ran into this guy ( Cannondale Bad Boy):
    http://www.rei.com/product/810333/ca...shok-bike-2011

I love the Spot for the SS aspect and the Belt Drive System.
    (Been meaning to purchase a belt drive system)

I'm REALLY starting to warm up to the gears and the lefty fork of the Bad Boy.
    In the Cannondale forums there are singlespeed setups and putting more aggressive CX tires.

Help! I would love to buy both but I don't think my wallet will support it
    What say you internets folks?

T.W.O.
    I like the Badboy too but don't forget it's only 50mm of travel unlike the old badboy 80mm. Belt drive is good too I've been considering it but I don't have the right bike for it yet. If you want to do more commuting then it's all good but for trail riding it may be limited.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

2nd Bike more for commuting

Hey Mimi....
    the second bike will be more for commuting.
    At REI the staff there said it would be hard to fit a CX tire on the BadBoy.
    With the crappy roads around me, I'd be more comfortable with a more aggressive tire.

I love the simplicity of the Spot Mod. Sigh....decisions decisions.....

Maybe a custom is in the works. I've had my eye on Singular cycles too. I wonder if a belt system would fit on that. Stick a good suspension fork on that with drop bars and it would be a real do-it-all bike.

T.W.O.
    Too bad that would have made a b!tchen CX bike.

CS2
    mtbr member
    So, is the Bad Boy a yay or nay?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Aaarrrggghhh.... can't decide.

I also researched the Ellsworth Roots. That thing is pretty sexy looking.

I'll have to ride the BadBoy to see if I like the frame geometry.
    No chance I'll get to ride a Spot. Not sure about the Ellsworth either.

The Cdale BadBoy is available right now and about 1/3 the cost of the other two.
    I may have to go to my LBS (auth. C-dale dealer) and see what they say about the C-dale.

So gear (BadBoy)....singlespeed (Spot) .....or custom..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djump View Post
    Hey everyone, thought I'd try my luck in the general forum.
    About me: I currently ride a 29er singlespeed, rigid MTB.
    I currently use my MTB for the trails and also to commute to work.
    With a SS, top end speed is not quite there so looking to get a 2nd bike.

I'm REALLY starting to warm up to the gears and the lefty fork of the Bad Boy.
    In the Cannondale forums there are singlespeed setups and putting more aggressive CX tires.

Help! I would love to buy both but I don't think my wallet will support it
    What say you internets folks?
    Hey there Djump,

I really don't understand your frustration!

Jump on that Bad Boy and don't look back!

You'll now have two bikes. You'll now have your top end speed when the conditions are right.
    You can still hit the trails as usual with your old 29er.
    You really don't want to hit top end speed when the roads are crappy anyway...Do you?

PS.

Besides, you'll be paying too much for the trendy priced Spot SS...
    Last edited by MoabiSlim; 05-30-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    God gave birds, wings to fly .... He gave us, Jamis!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    @MoabiSlim:

Hahaha....frustration I think is the choice of singlespeed (belt-drive) or geared.

Even within the SS camp I could go the stock Spot Mod SS which yeah is a little pricey but I think (IMHO) the component spec is pretty nice. I'm really sold on the belt drive idea.

OR

I could do a custom Singular. (Probably with an IGH). I haven't actually started asking around but that would be a sweet bike and probably about 1K cheaper than the Spot in my estimates.

That way I wouldn't have to worry about the durability of the C-dale BB if I take it off road, although as most say it is one sexy looking bike!

Aaaarrrrggghhh!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Get a set of mountain wheels for the Bad Boy, that bike is set up for either wheel, 26, 29 and so forth. I love that bike, did you check out "post up your bad boy" in cannondale section?

Post Your Bad Boy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    @jeepseahawk:

Yeah I posted in the Cannondale forum but never got a direct answer.

From what I've read through, I think the BadBoy can take 29er/700c tire but a super skinny one. Most likely a cyclocross type tire.

I'll probably mull over this a little more!

mtbr member
    Cannondale

Apr 2007
    I don't know what some of you are smoking, but $1,400 for that Bad Boy??!! I could literally name countless bikes I'd rather have for that price, and more that are cheaper.

How long is your commute? I'm 40 miles away, so I don't commute, except occasionally, where I ride 45 min to a train station and take that up to work (~13 miles, which is perfect commuting distance, IMO). I ride a Surly Steamroller, which can fit up to 700x38 tires and is pretty fun on mild singletracks and can take rough roads pretty good. But if I were in your shoes, I'd get something like the Surly Cross Check. Fender eyelets, rack mounts, etc. makes for a commuter friendly ride. Also can take up to 700x45, IIRC. Can be geared or SS. Or Salsa has nice options as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    @p nut: $1400 is list I believe for the BadBoy.
    After discounts etc....I think it is around $1125. Plus I get a little back with the REI dividend.

I love the look of the BadBoy...but something about it just doesn't have me sold.

The Salsa Fargo is an interesting choice as is the Singular Gryphon.
    I read 29inches comparo on those two.

I think what it comes down to is choice. I would like to have the ability to run a belt drive geared or SS.

That means either getting the Spot with a IGH wheel built (mucho $$$) or going the custom route (not quite as much mucho $$$, but more time investment)

I've emailed Marty of Singular here in the US about the possibility of installing an S and S coupler on a Singular. My concern is also with the clearance of the front pulley with the chain stay. A belt driven IGH Gryphon or Swift would be pretty kick-ass.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Helpful opinioin?

My experiences might help. I'm lucky enough to have both singlespeed (fixed and free) and geared bikes. I have on-road fixed and geared, and off-road singlespeed freehub. So what do I ride and when?

I mostly commute (25km each way) on the fixed road bike. It's good for my technique and easy to maintain; I mind less when it gets covered in crud and it's not too expensive. Off road I don't find having a singlespeed a hardship; it makes me work really hard and again, it makes me better. I have an Orange P7 in steel, so the weight is less of an issue.

But I just ordered a Spot Mod SS which I'm going to specify fixed, not free, and it's going to be commuter and off-roader, and I'll do a bit of cyclocross through the winter too. Means I can probably free up some space in my shed and say good bye to the MTB and the fixed.

So if you're used riding a 29er off road, why wouldn't you go for the Spot? No contest imho.