Thread: Seat Posts

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Seat Posts

Hi everyone, had some questions about seat posts. I know that if you put a carbon fiber seatpost in an aluminum frame, you need to purchase a grease substitute because grease will act like glue and more than likely damage the seat tube. But can you put an aluminum seat post inside a carbon frame? If you could, what would you need as a grease substitute? I might be swapping components over to a carbon frame, and didn't want to buy a brand new seatpost to make it work. I know that sounds kinda dumb!

T.W.O.
    I use the carbon prep to prevent binding, it's not pretty but it works

Picture Unrelated
    You can use grease on carbon parts (unless the manufacturer recommends against it, but I have yet to see one that does) or you can use carbon assembly paste (which is grease with a little grit to it). The Al seatpost in a carbon frame works better than the other way around because the frame is usually a more raw carbon which has more surface roughness while carbon seatposts are manufactured with a very glossy top ply finish because it's pretty but that makes it slick. The slick surface needs an assembly paste (usually) to keep things gripping tightly.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks, any recomendations on carbon prep/assembly paste? I appreciate the tips by the way, this is some good advice!

T.W.O.
    They are all about the same, I'd just like the smaller tube. I use it for all combo alu/carbon/ti/steel.