mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Scott Scale 20 vs Trek Elite 9.8 vs Cannondale Flash Carbon 3

I have done a deep research and have selected these three bikes. The market price is almost equal and configuration is practically the same.

Could you please advise me on pros and cons of these bikes? What would be your choice?

Thx!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have ridden all three, and even bought the Trek before returning it for a Superfly (long story). The 9.8 felt stiffer than the other two to me, which I liked, and was the best deal; however they all felt light and agile. I would plan on replacing the wheels on the Trek because the Race Lites are very heavy, but I am guessing the DT Swiss on the others are not much lighter.

IMO each has their individual benefits:
    Trek = Stiff and snappy (really liked the full XT component spec and geometry)
    Scott = Probably Lightest riding frame (felt somewhat compliant and light)
    Cannondale = Best fork with the Lefty (stiff front end but didn't fit me well)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfelt View Post
    I have ridden all three, and even bought the Trek before returning it for a Superfly (long story). The 9.8 felt stiffer than the other two to me, which I liked, and was the best deal; however they all felt light and agile. I would plan on replacing the wheels on the Trek because the Race Lites are very heavy, but I am guessing the DT Swiss on the others are not much lighter.

IMO each has their individual benefits:
    Trek = Stiff and snappy (really liked the full XT component spec and geometry)
    Scott = Probably Lightest riding frame (felt somewhat compliant and light)
    Cannondale = Best fork with the Lefty (stiff front end but didn't fit me well)
    Thank you for sharing! Do I read you correct that accoding to your experience you would reccommend buying Trek?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I was happy with the Trek, but as always try to spend as much time on them as possible. All three are great but the Cannondale geometry did not feel right for me and the Scott was not as good a deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfelt View Post
    I was happy with the Trek, but as always try to spend as much time on them as possible. All three are great but the Cannondale geometry did not feel right for me and the Scott was not as good a deal.
    Interesting. I had an opportunity to try Cannondale today and I was impressed by its fork. The bike was agile and it was hard to get off However I would like to try Scott and Trek as well before taking the final decision. Frankly speaking Cannondale is the most expensive and I am not sure is it worth to spend extra 600 $ if compared to Trek or not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I got the cannondale flash carbon 3 about 2 weeks ago. It is going back. There is no way I'm going to trust my life to this thing. I had a car pull out in front of me, and when I grabbed the brakes, the front wheel and fork started bucking like a jack hammer. If I was turning at the time, there is no way I would have stayed on top of the bike. It has way too much flex at the head tube, and it allows the frame and fork to move back and 'load up' like a spring, and then when it gets to a certain point, it unloads and springs back. Violently.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainam View Post
    I got the cannondale flash carbon 3 about 2 weeks ago. It is going back. There is no way I'm going to trust my life to this thing. I had a car pull out in front of me, and when I grabbed the brakes, the front wheel and fork started bucking like a jack hammer. If I was turning at the time, there is no way I would have stayed on top of the bike. It has way too much flex at the head tube, and it allows the frame and fork to move back and 'load up' like a spring, and then when it gets to a certain point, it unloads and springs back. Violently.
    That sounds weird. Does Lefty offers certain degree of adjusting? I mean, maybe you have made reaction time too long?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I don't think it was the fork compressing/extending, or even the fork flexing. The whole thing happened pretty fast, and I was concentrating on not dying, but it seemed like the frame was flexing and springing back at the head tube, because the bars were jerking forward and back, not up and down.

I saved up for a while to get a 'good' bike, and my experience with Cannondale was rather dissapointing. I had 3 major issues one right after another. . .

1) The mix of Sram derailluer, FSA crank & chainrings, and KMC chain simply does not work well together. Horribly bad chain suck when shifting down from big to small gear. The frame came with a small plastic and aluminum stick-on protector on the bottom of the bottom bracket. It got ripped right the heck off by the chain in the first 5 miles. No ammount of cleaning or adjustment by myself or the LBS helped.

2) The rear brake tab (at least on my frame) was mis-aligned to the point I had to put washers under the caliper to move it out, away from the disc. The outside edge of the disc was rubbing the inside of the caliper. Avid disc, adapter mount, and disc. Swapped each piece out, and same problem. The frame tab is simply off.

3) The frame flex.

After only 125 miles or so, I'm done with it. It went back today. For die-hard Cannondale fans, sorry, but this was the prettiest hunk of junk I've ever spent way too much on. I got my son a Huffy at Toys 'R' Us that is insanely heavy, and cost $90. It is a piece of junk that won't upset anyone if it gets stolen, but it ACTUALLY FUNCTIONS.

Yes, I did just unfavorably compare Cannondale to Huffy.