mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Scott Genius 30 vs Cannondale Rize 4 Lefty

Hi

I live in Portugal and here we do not have a lot of bike options so we must stick to the available and reliable distribuitors of big bike brands like Cannondale, Scott, Specialized, Treck, Giant, ...

I am not a pro and I like a versatile bike to do all mountain rides. Sometimes I face some hard climbing and some single track descends with some drops , nothing radical.

Other thing I need is a confortable bike because my 45 year back always complains after riding .

I am considering Scott Genius 30 ( European Setup - http://www.jasma.pt/marcas/scott/bicicletas/montanha/maratona-trail/?id=24 ) and Cannondale Rize 4 Lefty ( European Setup - http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/09/ce/model-9VT4L.html ).

Scott has that apeeling concept of the shifter that changes bike geomethry via changing the rear Shock but I tried it twice and I don't feel very safe so far from the ground!!!! The Rize is not available to testing so I don't know if the 130 mm suspension would make me feel the same. I only tried a Cannondale Rush and I liked it a lot.

Can you help me? What is your opinion about these bikes. Someone considered the same decision?

Thanks

Steel is real
    Aug 2004

go the rize

go the rize mate. i've got the rize 4 in australia. Here it comes with a fox fork up front. Its an awesome bike. Climbs like a mountain goat and descends like a demon. My riding style is the set and forget style. I'm not one for worrying about adjusting the fork height or rebound for different tracks. The rize seems to work well on all styles of track here to. From fast flowy to technical rocky descents. The new versions are comming out soon to which include the new version of the rush which is basically a 120mm version of the rize. The rize is going to 140mm.....

mtbr member
    I don't know about the Cannondale (most probably another excellent choice), but as a 40-yr old owner of the Scott Genius 30, I can tell you that it will be very difficult to find a more comfortable bike. If you choose to run tubeless - as I did - with very low pressures, your back will be even more happy!

You can find a review here http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/2009-sc...ius-40-review/ which matches my opinion of the bike.

Also, I don't understand what do you mean by "so far from the ground", do you mean the 150mm Talas setting? Remember that when you use the full setting on the fork, you will use full travel on the rear shock which as a result will have more sag, so your bottom bracket will be closer to the ground...

Good luck choosing between them
    Last edited by midas; 07-07-2009 at 11:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Since the Genius is a goofy gimmick (the way the "geometrie" changes), I have to go with the Rize. BTW, I wish the USA could get a Rize 4 with a Lefty.

fan of maple syrup
    Well, it's not really a gimmick. The rear end has 150mm of travel available in full travel mode (130mm in earlier, horst link versions). In this mode (which you have it set to whenever adjusting shock air pressures), sitting on the bike, with the suspension set-up and the correct amount of sag, your BB height is Xmm off the ground. When you then switch the travel to the partial travel 'Traction Mode', the travel is reduced to the first 95mm, but more importantly the sag is reduced, meaning the BB is now higher than Xmm, thus altering the angles of the bike and bringing your weight slightly more forward. Switching it to lockout reduces the sag to 0mm and the BB sits higher still, and your weight is further forward again.

I've owned one of the earlier models for a few years now, and when it's working 100%, it's pretty damn smooth riding. I leave it in traction control mode most of the time as well as for techy climbs, then switching to full travel when tackling high-speed descents, really gnarly terrain & drops/jumps, then switching it to lockout for steep climbs. It's a pretty awesome setup to have at your thumb and it's always worked well for me. However, I have had a few issues with my shock, and thus my bigger complaint with the bike as a whole is that only 1 shock will ever work on it, and it's an extremely complicated shock that costs lots to service since it has so many parts. I looked at my seal kit when I got it servied and there was upwards of 50 o-rings & seals in there.

I'm debating whether to keep it in the future as I want something burlier (Nomad, ReignX type thing), and something lighter (29er hardtail) but this bike - when the shock is running well - is just so smooth and perfect for really long rides/24hrs etc. It will be hard to part ways with.

Having said all that, the Rize is a sweet looking bike. It's hard to go past big C's smooth welds. I'm dubious of the durability of the Lefty when used on drops/jumps, but so far haven't seen/heard any bigtime failures (not that I've looked too hard).

mtbr member
    nuclear_powered, you are right. I didn't mean to say it doesn't work. By saying "gimmick" I meant it's something that's not very useful and is just a selling point. A Fox TALAS or Rock Shox Revelation (and others) can change the head tube angle to help climbing. Granted, it may not change the geometry as much. The bottom line to me is that a great all mountain bike doesn't need constant changing of the geometry to be effective. A good rear suspension does not rely on lock-out to climb. The Rize doesn't need that stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I got a rize 4 a few months ago, and I love it. The rear shock looks kind of complex and heavy on the scott. The rize looks much cleaner and sensible at the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'd opt for the Rize and make my first upgrade a Lefty,best fork i've ridden.