mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. Schwinn, Schwinn....or Giant???

I've got my eye on a Schwinn Moab 3 (hardtail). It's brand new, but a 2001 model and so hugely reduced (to $300). Good spec but like I said, an old model and no discs.

Alternatively, a Schwinn Moab DS-3 (full-sus). 2003 model, but a full-sus at this price????

And finally, for about the same price there's a 2003 Giant Iguana Disc (hardtail). Lower spec, but more recent and with discs.

OK, somebody make my mind up for me please!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    shwinn and giants suck... i wouldn't go for either of those... get something better for 300-400.

mtbr member
    I think giants are a fine choice. You could also check out the specialized rockhopper and hardrock series of bikes. Both those frames are worthy of future upgrades. There should be deals to be had in the coming months as the '05 bikes arrive so keep an eye peeled. The other thing to consider is a good used hardtail...there are definitely deals to be had and you can frequently get a nicer bike that is almost new than if you had spent the same money on a new bike.

Either way, don't get a FS if you are spending only 300-400 bucks.

bi-winning

thats not very nice

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblaster
    giants suck
    Are you sure? There are many reviews that seem to state otherwise.

I am a very happy Giant customer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Are you sure? There are many reviews that seem to state otherwise.

I am a very happy Giant customer.
    I also love my Giant.

mtbr member

Moab!!!

Go with the moab, I owned one for 3 years and loved it. They are very nice for the price, you won't get many people going ga ga over the bike, but is clmbs and decends very well. And at that price you could upgrade to disks and have the giant beat.

Quote Originally Posted by magicacaca
    I've got my eye on a Schwinn Moab 3 (hardtail). It's brand new, but a 2001 model and so hugely reduced (to $300). Good spec but like I said, an old model and no discs.

Alternatively, a Schwinn Moab DS-3 (full-sus). 2003 model, but a full-sus at this price????

And finally, for about the same price there's a 2003 Giant Iguana Disc (hardtail). Lower spec, but more recent and with discs.

OK, somebody make my mind up for me please!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The pre pacific schwinns were amazing, the frames were very nice and well worthy of upgrades. for $300, that doesnt sound like a bad deal. I read some good reveiws on schwinns new ISO drive suspension, which is used on their new DS and rocket series, but that particular model is fairly low end. Ive seen the DS 1 go new on ebay for $599 US, you get a pretty good part spec ( rock shox bar rear shock, hayes HFX 9 hydros, XT/deore parts, axel super fork). It weighs in at 30 Lbs. Giants give great bang for the buck too, and the inguana disc is very nice. I had a Schwinn Moab 1 from 2001 or 2002 ( not totally sure of the year, probably 2002). And it was a beast on the climbs.

So basically, You could pick either the Giant, or the Moab, and you'll be happy. I would look around for the Schwinn DS1 on ebay if you want to try a full suspension

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Don't listen to the nay sayers.

I have a Schwinn 240-DSX and I love it.

Just win baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeblaster
    shwinn and giants suck... i wouldn't go for either of those... get something better for 300-400.
    Let me guess... you don't own a Schwinn or Giant, right? Tell us, what is the best bike that doesn't suck because you own one?

I don't know about Schwinn these days, but I do know that Giant makes some very nice frames.

mtbr member
    The older Moab 3 would be a good bike. That was back in the good old days before Schwinn went belly up and was sold off to Pacific Cycles. The newer Moad DS-3 would be junk, Do not buy it for any reason.

The Giant Iquana would be a fine bike too, as long as it is not worn out or was put together weirdly.

Why are you so set on getting disk brakes? Unless you ride in the slope or snow, or for race (not ride) for longer than three hours you will not see all that much benifit over good v brakes.

I love Pisgah
    Don't listen to the moron about any bike but his brand sucks(dukeblaster). Anyone that makes such a broad statement certainly doesn't know what hes talking about. Both brands make good frames(assuming the Schwinn is pre Pacific as stated).

Heres a 2000 Moab 2. 22lbs 13oz. as shown Of course everythings been changed to achieve that. Only the post clamp(but has a ti bolt) and the FD(alum pinch bolt) are orig. The point is, its a good base to start with, and responds to some good ol massaging w/ some decent parts. Handles great. Good solid backup HT.

Last edited by Duckman; 08-14-2004 at 01:12 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853
    The older Moab 3 would be a good bike. That was back in the good old days before Schwinn went belly up and was sold off to Pacific Cycles. The newer Moad DS-3 would be junk, Do not buy it for any reason.
    I agree. I just sold my 99 Moab 3. Great aggressive geometry, fun bike, good frame worth upgrading. Check to see what kind of warranty it has, since they are not really the same company anymore. I thought I heard a while back warranty claims would not be honored, but I could be mistaken.

I don't know what they cost in 2001, but mine listed for $649, so it sounds like you've found a good deal. I sold mine for $200, and it was well used.

Of course, if you by the Schwinn you will look like you are riding a Wal-Mart bike.

Too Broke!
    Jun 2004
    My giant is awesome, its not super top end, but It defanately serves its purpose, worthy of upgrades. I spent $500 for it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hey, Ive got an Idea. Not a very good one. But I have an Idea!

mtbr member
    If it's a pre Pacific Schwinn go for it but on the other hand why buy a old bike (even if brand new) when you can get a current year Giant?

The newer Schwinn's suck, they became department store bikes. On the contrary the Iguana is a great starter bike and worth upgrades.

"El Whatever"

My vote...

Goes to the Giant.

Giant and Jamis (IMHO) are the ones who give you the more bike for the money. But Jamis have no bikes at this price range I guess. I might be wrong on that.

As Lakerat Said... if you save 200 bucks more you can get the more than decent Giant Warp for around 500. Is a real FS at an incredible price. And is very worthy of upgrades. The frame is heavy but very long lasting (check on the forums for warranty issues on warps and you'll see) and has 5" real of cushion.

The Iguana and Rainier are good chioces too.
    Check my Site