mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm schwinn or mongoose

Hi. I am just starting to ride. I have an opportunity to buy a mongoose teocali comp or a schwinn rocket pro. I can get a really good deal on each for about $600 from a friend. Can anyone give me feedback as to quality and info about either of these bikes? any info greatly appreciated!

thanks

Christine

mtbr member
    I'd probably go for the Mongoose. My Mongoose seems fairly decent (NXDH pro), and I saw a Schwinn taken off the shelf at my LBS (something to do with a cracked weld). On the other hand my friend loves his Schwinn Straight 8. If the specs are reasonably similar then go for the one that feels better (one of them is bound to feel better to you), if that doesn't narrow it down to one, then go for the Mongoose because it looks cooler.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New question here.

Thanks for your input!

Unfortunately I can't find a place in town that carries either brand since they are no longer considered "bike shop quality". So I was going to try to get some advice and make a judgement call on which to purchase. Not the best way to do this I know. The price is right and the components seem decent on both. I don't know which is a smoother ride.

Any other feedback out there - positive and negative welcome.

Please keep in mind:
    I am just starting out with mtn biking. I am a 5'5" 130# female and wanting to get a relatively decent bike to start out. I want to keep the price reasonable since it will be my first bike. I can get a deal through a friend for 50% off the MSRP for GT, Mongoose or Schwinn. I wondered if anyone has feedback on the mongoose teocali comp or the schwinn rocket pro as far as decent bike specs, etc for a beginner. These bikes both fall into my budget. Any info greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
    Christine

I just let one RIP
    Both look like decent bikes to start out on. I'd go with the Schwinn--the components are slightly better, X-9 drivetrain and hydraulic brakes. Schwinn seems to be making something of a comeback, and several of their bikes have been getting some good reviews in the magazines. As far as "bike shop quality" of Schwinns go, the ones sold in Walmart are actually just Pacific bikes with Schwinn stickers since Pacific owns Schwinn. But the Schwinns sold in bike shops are actually made in a different factory, and are of a much better quality; at least that is what I understand to be the case.

There's no app for this.

Yeah I'd agree

just to be clear, Pacific was sold (in bankruptcy) to Canadian juvenile furniture manufacturer Dorel Industries in Jan 2004. So GT, and Schwinn etc are Canadian. I say that because I'm unsure where the future of those bikes lie, just so you know. It's probably OK, but after 2 bankruptcies in the US, it's a bit uncertain I would think.

The Mongoose is a heavier FR type bike so if you are doing bike parks on lifts this would be great. In CO at altitude, it might be a pig to ride, I don't know for sure. But the Schwinn looks more XC/trail oriented, has better parts and brakes, and "looks" like a better female fit than the other. Make sure the top tube length is OK on the new bike before you order it.

That's my armchair .02, good luck with your purchase, and in a worst case at 1/2 price, you can always sell it and move on without a huge loss.

Jim

Dorel to Acquire Pacific Cycle
    - Powerful brands will give Dorel leading position in U.S. bicycle industry - Acquisition expected to add a minimum of US$0.75 per share in fiscal 2004
    Distribution Source : PRNewswire

Date : Tuesday - January 13, 2004

MONTREAL, Jan. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Dorel Industries Ltd. (TSX: DII.A, DII.B; NASDAQ: DIIBF) today announced it is adding a significant new leg to the Company's business by entering the bicycle industry through a major acquisition. The Company has signed a purchase agreement to acquire Wisconsin- based Pacific Cycle, a designer and supplier of bicycles and other recreational products, best known for its Schwinn, Mongoose and GT bicycle brands. "Pacific Cycle sells more bicycles than anyone else in the U.S. bicycle industry and its portfolio of powerful brands is one of the strongest in the sporting goods industry. Its business model is very similar to ours and provides numerous opportunities to significantly strengthen Dorel's position as a global consumer products company," stated Dorel President and CEO, Martin Schwartz.
    Last edited by JimC.; 03-29-2005 at 09:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

thanks for the feedback

Thanks so much for taking the time to compare both bikes and provide me with your feedback. I appreciate it much! I have been leaning toward the Schwinn myself and think this is what I am going to buy. I am excited to make this purchase and start cruising the trails out here in Colorado. Thanks for clarifying the Walmart/Pacific deal too.

mtbr member
    If you're just learning to ride, I'm not sure either of those bikes would be great for you. Unless you're planning on jumping straight to super technical trails, you don't really need the 5 1/2 inches of suspension on those bikes (which also look really heavy). When purchasing a bike, fit and feel are extremely important. Be sure to test ride any bike before purchasing it. A lot of companies are now making women specific designs, which at your size and weight, would be a big plus. (Of course, a half-off deal is hard to pass up, but lots of shops have 2004 bikes on closeout prices.)
    At the $600 price range, you are probably better off with a nice hardtail. Take a look at the Cannondale F400 Feminine, the Trek 4500 WSD ($499), the Specialized Rockhopper Womens, and the Gary Fisher Tassajara GS ($659).
    If you're dead set on a full suspension bike, I'd recommend moving up in price range to at least a $1000. The Cannondale Jeckyl Feminine and the Specialized FSR XC Womens would both be worth testing.
    I would definately spend some time visiting shops and test riding to get an idea of what you like and what fits. Good luck and have fun.