Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

scandium or steel frames

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  RVM 
#1 ·
My liked but not loved Gunnar Rockhound (reynolds 853 mains, true temper OX stays) was destroyed but somebody failing to secure their hitch rack correctly. I am now looking to get a new hardtail frame and am torn between steel or scandium.

Specifically I am considering the true temper Kona Explosif versus the scandium Kona Kula Primo. I know according the scandium marketing speak, it is supposed to absorb impacts like steel, but how close to the truth is that.

Also if anybody else can recommend other frames in the sub $750 range, please do.

#2 ·
I'd stick with steel

Unless you want to get something lighter. Then in that case, scandium will suit you better.

My impression of scandium is that it's lighter than steel, supposed to ride like steel, but I don't think it's as strong as steel.

www.jensonusa.com has three steel frames under your price range.

http://www.salsacycles.com/frames_bandito.html

Salsa has a geared and single speed scandium frame. Somehow the SS costs more and it's heavier than the geared one...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.