mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New question here. SC Chameleon vs Gunnar Rock Hound

I need a bike for a bit harder urban ride, but also fast on the road. In fact, it should be a quickest place to place bike that could handle jumping off some smaller walls or stairs, rough riding through parks and yet fast runs on the roads.
    Could someone please help me choosing the right bike for me? Would Chameleon be a better choice? Or would it be Rock Hound? Any other suggestions, please.

This is the list of the components I have for my new bike, and some of them I am yet about to get:
    FORK magura quake c 110
    BB race face evolve fr
    CRANKSET truvativ stylo sl isis 170 mm
    PEDALS azonic fusion
    FRONT DER. shimano lx
    REAR DER. shimano xt long cage
    COGSET sram powerglide II 7.0
    CHAIN sram powerchain 69
    SHIFTERS shimano lx
    WHEELSET sun ringle rpm xxl w/ super duper bubba front hub
    TIRES schwalbe little albert 26x2.1
    BRAKES magura hs33
    HEADSET fsa orbit xl II
    STEM race face prodigy 80mm
    HANDLEBAR race face riser
    BAR TAPE odi
    SEATPOST ti
    SADDLE rocket V.

Do you think I should consider some other components for the purpose I mentioned?

Thanks
    Srdjan

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Anybody?
    If someone has tried both bikes, please help me choose the right one. Or if you have some other suggestions, say what you think.
    thanks
    srdjan

Rides like wrecking ball
    Isn't the Gunnar just an XC bike? I wouldn't be jumping it much or riding urban at all. Get the Chameleon, it's a very capable XC bike, but with the strength to take quite a beating doing "more than XC".
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    I would agree with Bulldog - the Chameleon will serve you better. It's a really great do it all frame that can handle XC and also urban, Dirt Jumping and some drops and such as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for your input.
    But don't you think it's too much FR for road riding and for XC? It looks too low and too massive to me, no? I'm afraid that it would go very slow on asphalt.
    thanks

Rides like wrecking ball
    Pretty sure they are very close in weight. It's just the steel vs aluminum tubing sizes that's playing tricks on your eyes. The Chameleon isn't one of those 6-8 pound burly hardtails, just a good strong do-it-all bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

USB Rep'n
    For what its worth I own an 853 steel HT that weighs in a fuzz over 4 lbs. I am impatiently waiting on my Chameleon frame to get in and it weighs roughly the same.

Why two hardtails you ask? I have been riding skatepark/urban/dj on the Blizzard (853) all winter and while the bike has held up, its not built for that abuse and even feels a bit squirrelly at times due to stiffness issues. The Chameleon is the perfect fit for me (and you it sounds like) since it can take all that abuse and still be light enough for xc.

As for speed on the road....I hate to say it, but that's up to you, not the bike. MTB's aren't built to be roadsters in the first place so I'd say SS it and you'll be able to make any bike go fast when you want it to.

Get the SC, I think you'll find its the right tool for the job.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Can you guess that my vote is for the chameleon

[QUOTE=sbek]I need a bike for a bit harder urban ride, but also fast on the road. In fact, it should be a quickest place to place bike that could handle jumping off some smaller walls or stairs, rough riding through parks and yet fast runs on the roads.
    Could someone please help me choosing the right bike for me? Would Chameleon be a better choice? Or would it be Rock Hound? Any other suggestions, please.]

Mines built up as a pretty burly xc bike and it still rides pretty well on the roads, I have been putting in a atleast one longer road ride a week to build up my endurance again and it works great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    [QUOTE=lachameleon]
    Quote Originally Posted by sbek
    I need a bike for a bit harder urban ride, but also fast on the road. In fact, it should be a quickest place to place bike that could handle jumping off some smaller walls or stairs, rough riding through parks and yet fast runs on the roads.
    Could someone please help me choosing the right bike for me? Would Chameleon be a better choice? Or would it be Rock Hound? Any other suggestions, please.]

Mines built up as a pretty burly xc bike and it still rides pretty well on the roads, I have been putting in a atleast one longer road ride a week to build up my endurance again and it works great.

And what do you think about the components listed above I would put on my new Chameleon? Do you think that they would be good for my needs or do you have any other suggestions?
    thanks

crashes in parkinglot
    Another Chameleon vote here, but if you are smooth and don't do many drops to flat a steel hardtail might be ok. I'd put the weight of my chameleon (size medium at 4-5# probably closer to 5 though just a guess)

As for you setup the only thing you might reconsider are the rims xl might be a bit more than you need (dending on weight and smoothness) i've run regular width rhyno lites for 2 years and haven't had any problems, and i've deffinetly cased my fare share of jumps.

HS33, hydrolic rim brakes rock, till you get them wet then they are about as useful as any other rim brake wet, so if this is only a dry weather commuter/urban/other bike then the maggies will be fine, but if you hit water i'd think of switching over to disk. I personaly use Hayes i love them, some people don't.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by sbek
    And what do you think about the components listed above I would put on my new Chameleon? Do you think that they would be good for my needs or do you have any other suggestions?
    thanks
    I would think your component spec would be fine, I dont personally have any experience with hs33 brakes, as I am using shimano discs, but I am running rhynolite xl rims with out much problem and I rarely switch my 2.25 sedonas out for the slicks I bought since I usually only do one long road ride a week, and I dont have the money for an extra wheelset at the moment. Overall I think the chameleon is one of the most versitle hardtails out there for the money, I have nothing against steel frames, but I feel that aluminum works great for this sort of bike, and I think 853 would be a little too mushy for what you are looking for, 853 just has that resilient feel to it that makes my road bike feel great, but I think would be a little unnerving when landing a jump a little off kilter. You might want to check ebay or the mtbr classifieds as you can find good deals on lightly used chameleon frames, thats where I picked up my first one.

mtbr member

Vote Chameleon

The Chameleon is plenty quick and light on pavement, from my riding experiences. Another option that you may consider is the Banshee Scirocco. Its a beefy type hardtail, but weighs in the 4 pound range, and Banshee stands behind it as a tough free-ride bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thanks guys for your inputs