MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009

Sawback 5xx vs. 2006 Hardrock Sport Disc

I'm down to two bikes in my search for an exercise/trail bike. I'm sure I could negotiate less on the hardrock to match/be lower than the Sawback bike. Both do not have lockouts on the front fork, but the Sawback has 9sp deore drivetrain. Ideas?

Forge Sawback 5xx for $364 shipped OTD new

2006 Hardrock Sport Disc $375 OBO but includes the following:

Bontrager Steat
    X-7 Rear Derailuer
    Specialized Fast Trac LT 26x2.00
    Chain was put on about 1.5 months before I quit riding this bike. Has some scratches on the frame from bike racks and from riding. Wrapped a tube around the chain stay after 1st week of riding to reduce chain slap. Gears and Brakes work well. Just tightened the spokes some too. Ready to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Everybody is about to tell u to go with the Hardrock!! Just go with the one that most appeals to u. Ride em both and look at there appearance then choose, These are both entry level type bikes so there shouldnt be too much pressure in choosing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Mitch
    Everybody is about to tell u to go with the Hardrock!! Just go with the one that most appeals to u. Ride em both and look at there appearance then choose, These are both entry level type bikes so there shouldnt be too much pressure in choosing.
    Please have some clue of what you are talking about before posting..

I have owned the Sawback 5xx for about a month now, and it takes a ton of punishment. Have been doing downhill, XC, and some light jumping. Does not disappoint at all. You can read my full review on the review page for said bike at mtbr.

It's a great bike, and I do not have an opinion on the hardrock, as I've never tried it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I shouldve said most ppl are going to say get the hardrock Not Me.
    I personally didnt like the hardrock so i got a Trek 4300 Disc.
    Alot of ppl on here love the hardrock was all I was saying
    I do like the parts list of the Sawback and was considering getting one , but the fact that it was unavailable to test ride made me go with the Trek.
    So please have some clue on what i was writting and read the whole post !!!
    I formed no opinion on Either I said Ride both and see what appeals to you!!!!