mtbr member
    Sep 2009

New question here. Santa Cruz Tallboy or Fisher Superfly 100?

I need to purchase a new ride for next seasons XC race season. I am 6' 2" 180-185 lbs. Im considering the fisher superfly100 or build up santa cruz tallboy carbon? Or do I scrap the 29er idea and stick to 26? Any advice?
    Last edited by 3leaf; 09-08-2009 at 05:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Next Year's Rig

Hi 3Leaf,
    Bean struggling with the same decision myself and after getting back from the Santa Cruz demo ride at Wilder Ranch this afternoon, I can assure you that I am plotting my purchase of a Tall Boy. The bike is incredible. Stiff, responsive, fast. I am 6'1" and 170lbs. I went with the XL and I think you would probably do the same. Climbing was great, easily as efficient as my 26" wheeled 4" XC race bike. The big wheels carved up the trails and inspired incredible confidence. The only "drawback" that I can see is that the weight is not quite what a 26 XC race rig will be. For me, I think there are too many other positives to out-weigh (pun intended) this one negative. Fortunately, I am more of a "right tool for the job" guy than a "weight weenie". My full thoughts are here: www.pp115.blogspot.com But, I think if you have ridden a 29 and liked it, then you will love the Tall Boy. It surpassed any of the "slow, bobbing, sluggish" rumors that I had heard about fully suspended 29ers and is probably the best, most fun bike I have ever ridden. Hope that helps.

AZ
    banned
    Go ride them both then buy the one you like best. I have not ridden the Tallboy yet , I have ridden the S.F. and it is amazing .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try to ride them both. I like 20mm front axles and CK or Hadley wheels so the GF is out. The Tallboy isn't quite the fast one I am looking for but would be a good trailbike. If you race, the GF will have an edge.
    As for me, I feel that Turner is interested in a fast 29er with the DW Link, so I'll wait till next year. 26ers like the DWL Flux and Yeti ASR will staill be great endurance racers/trailbikes for many, though I find them uninteresting now.