mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Santa Cruz Blur vs Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro Disc

I'm in the market for a new bike and have narrowed down my choices between the 04 Santa Cruz Blur X Disc and the 04 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro Disc.

I'm a daily rider non competitive XC rider 6'1 190lbs. Most of my riding is on fire trails and single track....mostly long steep, climbs and fast decents. I'm not into freeriding/hucking.

Any feedback on the Blur vs the FSR would be appreciated.

Thanks.

"Penalty 4 failure, dude"

Might make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Azul
    I'm in the market for a new bike and have narrowed down my choices between the 04 Santa Cruz Blur X Disc and the 04 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro Disc.

I'm a daily rider non competitive XC rider 6'1 190lbs. Most of my riding is on fire trails and single track....mostly long steep, climbs and fast decents. I'm not into freeriding/hucking.

Thanks.
    Word has it that the Pro FSR Discs' will not be available again until June. I've got the 04 Stumpjumper FSR Expert and I really like it. Triad is the real deal; very plush in the open setting, very efficient in the Propedal setting without being to harsh. Also very stiff, suprisingly so.

-Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

was my choice two

I had a long time deciding, even more complicated by the fact i'm in France and blur are awfullly expensive here (2000 euros for frame and shock), full blur with x kit in the us for the same price with the exchange rate, I finally ordered one in the US and will get it shipped to France. But it was a hard choice. The new specialized look nice and are supposed to be great bikes. But the price difference with a boutique bike for the same components is not what is used to be and they are sure a lot of blurs around (not in France) but they are a bunch of specialized. Both have excellent rear suspension, they likely have their frame made in the same Portland factory and they are in the same segment, trail bikes edging towards cross country but the Blur has a little more travel. What made the difference ? For me complete subjectivity, I have always eyed SC bikes and dreamt about a Superlight, then a Blur. I trully think both bikes are great value, great bike and will make you happy, if you are like me and have a special interest in either one, go for it, part of the pleasure is that, otherwise try them, maybe differences in sizes and fit could make a difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Five years from now and you break your frame... which company will be there to help you out? Santa what? Thats what I thought. Go out and buy the affordable bike from the reputable company. You'll be happy you bought the Specialized. Most people are. Its the #2 bike company in the USA.

Axe
    Custom User Title

FUD, cycling style?

Quote Originally Posted by frank4
    Five years from now and you break your frame... which company will be there to help you out? Santa what? Thats what I thought. Go out and buy the affordable bike from the reputable company. You'll be happy you bought the Specialized. Most people are. Its the #2 bike company in the USA.
    Bullcrap.

Judging from the fate of Giant, Schwinn, Cannondale and others size is NO protection and no indication of future reliability and responsibility.

Big public company is just as likely to go into bancruptcy. Just watch dollar fall and their profits pegged on cheap Taiwan crappyfacturing disappear.

I would trust Santa Cruz tens times before Specialized.

Old Fart at Play
    I'm with Axe on this one. If your like me, 5 years from now you'll either have, or be wanting, another bike. Santa what? Santa Cruz! They may not be as big as Specialized (yet), but I'll bet their growth rate over the last three years is much greater. I have little doubt that both companies will be around in 5 years, making excellent bikes. Pick between the bikes on their merits and your desires, not their pedigree.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Why only the Blur or FSR?

Why did you narrow your choices?
    What about the Titus Switchblade, Ventana, Turner, Canondale?
    All good bikes for exactly what you are looking for, and in the same price range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by snufkin
    Why did you narrow your choices?
    What about the Titus Switchblade, Ventana, Turner, Canondale?
    All good bikes for exactly what you are looking for, and in the same price range.
    I narrowed my choices based on local bike shop support, online/magazine reviews and test rides. However I haven't been able to test ride the bikes off road. I'm torn between the Blur and FSR and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks again.

Num Perineum
    Feb 2004
    I narrowed my choices based on local bike shop support, online/magazine reviews and test rides. However I haven't been able to test ride the bikes off road. I'm torn between the Blur and FSR and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks again.
    I'm in the same boat, it's FSR vs. Blur for epic rides and racing, with most other choices dropped for various reasons, not to disrespect 'em...

I think the biggest difference I'm facing is fit. The stumpies seem longer than the Blur. After sitting on each of them the large Blur felt right (hence that's where i'm leaning) and the large FSR felt too long, and the medium a little bit small. I'll be double checking the FSRs again...For bikes of this calibre I won't do a "just about" frame. I've noticed that pricewise, equally specced bikes at the higher end aren't hugely different in price, so I am only considering the inexpensive FSRs (a huge bargain if you've already got a fox to replace the manitou with, and you don't mind cheaper rims)

I don't think a person can go wrong with either model, all reports say they are beautiful rides, refined and versatile.

mtbr member

Ditto

Pre-built Blur XT Disc with Integrated Shifters & RL shock VS the Stumpjumper Pro Disc.
    Depending on dealer, the Stumpy is $300-$400 less. The SC has better wheels, seat post, bars and it has that custom built image. Rear travel is 4.5" VS 3.9 for the Specialized, both offer the Fox Float Forx (SC does offer the Minute II for the same price as the Fox).
    The Stumpy is anodized, offers a refined 4 bar rear suspension with functional Triad shock and life time frame warranty. Two concerns I have with the Stumpy is it's manufacturing origin (Taiwan) and the company's tendency to come out with a major new FSR design every 2-4 years (resell value goes bye bye).
    The Blur's shock (Float RL) is has better protected from mud and gravel, plus it isn't limited by a narrow seat tube shock tunnel like the Specialized is. Who knows, in 2-4 years Fox or 5th Element might offer an new shock with electronic lockout/compression adj., Xlarge air volume and remote reservoir. The Blur isn't limited by this narrow tunnel like the Stumpy.
    For me the real test is how each bike climbs steep rocky trails, the fit and how my LBS treats me. Until I can get in a good trail test I'm hold off purchasing.

KRN
    mtbr member

Thanks.
    From what I've heard about the Blur & the Santa cruz you cant go wrong with either one,I just got back into MTBing so I just bought my first singlespeed good luck with your choice!

mtbr member
    Nope. Number 3. First is Trek, then Giant, then Specialized.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    I don't think the Blurs are all that.When you apply the brakes the suspension stiffens up.Horst Link bikes(Specialized,Turner,Titus,older Intense) are always active.The wheel will follow the terrain whether you're pedaling, braking or even skidding.I couldn't believe how much better my rear brake worked when I got on a Turner.If you learn how to pedal correctly,you don't have to worry about the suspension sucking up energy.Pedal in circles not squares.Try to apply power to the cranks all the way around the pedal revolution.Its really best learned on a road bike where its easiest to concentrate on pedaling.If you get a Horst bike with a platform shock that's probably better,but I use an older CaneCreek shock set really soft and active.I had a Fox with lockout and the bike felt bad locked out.I'd rather ride my hardtail.Set up nice and soft,I never have problems with pogoing.I don't get out of the saddle and hammer much.I do it seated.If you can't pedal right or are not willing to learn then maybe a blur is the way to go,but an Epic with the brain shock would be better.The Blurs have very little tire/mud clearance at the rear stays.You'd be hard pressed to use 2.1s on a sticky muddy day.That was enough to scare me away.The Epics I saw last year were the same,not much clearance between the tire and shock.My Turner has 3/8" clearance on each side of the tire at the chainstays with a 2.2 tire.I think alot of these new designs are simply that-new and not necessarily better,some create more problems just to have the "No Bob" feature.Horst link bikes are tried and true.Everyone knows they work great.Whatever you buy, test the heck out of it in the dirt! before you turn over your hard earned cash.

KRN
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy
    Nope. Number 3. First is Trek, then Giant, then Specialized.
    well I belive U buy what U like & what feels good riding NOT what everyone else is riding so what MBA says? Most people say U have to spend alot of $$$$ to get a decent bike I say ride what U like & love it!

KRN
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eraserhead
    I don't think the Blurs are all that.When you apply the brakes the suspension stiffens up.Horst Link bikes(Specialized,Turner,Titus,older Intense) are always active.The wheel will follow the terrain whether you're pedaling, braking or even skidding.I couldn't believe how much better my rear brake worked when I got on a Turner.If you learn how to pedal correctly,you don't have to worry about the suspension sucking up energy.Pedal in circles not squares.Try to apply power to the cranks all the way around the pedal revolution.Its really best learned on a road bike where its easiest to concentrate on pedaling.If you get a Horst bike with a platform shock that's probably better,but I use an older CaneCreek shock set really soft and active.I had a Fox with lockout and the bike felt bad locked out.I'd rather ride my hardtail.Set up nice and soft,I never have problems with pogoing.I don't get out of the saddle and hammer much.I do it seated.If you can't pedal right or are not willing to learn then maybe a blur is the way to go,but an Epic with the brain shock would be better.The Blurs have very little tire/mud clearance at the rear stays.You'd be hard pressed to use 2.1s on a sticky muddy day.That was enough to scare me away.The Epics I saw last year were the same,not much clearance between the tire and shock.My Turner has 3/8" clearance on each side of the tire at the chainstays with a 2.2 tire.I think alot of these new designs are simply that-new and not necessarily better,some create more problems just to have the "No Bob" feature.Horst link bikes are tried and true.Everyone knows they work great.Whatever you buy, test the heck out of it in the dirt! before you turn over your hard earned cash.
    I agree with ya! test that bad boy out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ride it over your stopming grounds & new place U would NEVER talk your old bike on!

Num Perineum
    Feb 2004

that's a different point

[QUOTE=eraserhead]I don't think the Blurs are all that.When you apply the brakes the suspension stiffens up.Horst Link bikes(Specialized,Turner,Titus,older Intense) are always active....an Epic with the brain shock would be better.

Good points but the Epic is a fairly different kind of ride, and has it's weaknesses as well. Chances are your Turner is a lot like the stumpjumper in design (most likely better built and a lot more expensive, likely a little heavier), and chances are it (along with the Blur) would kill the epic on downhills...and i'd take the classic active design (a la 2004 fsr stumpie) over the epic, because personally, why would i want my bike to lock out part of the time when there is no need?

Yup, the VPP design is supposed to stiffen a little when you brake on the downs, but it's still supposed to do so considerably less than a single pivot (which remains a relevant design, with it's pros and cons)....but I don't think the Blur's design is giving up much to a 4 bar design...it's supposed to have some advantages over a 4 bar design, which were even more apparent before stable platform air shocks were introduced this year.

Cheers,
    Num