mtbr member
    Feb 2006

New question here. Santa Cruz Blur vs Seven-Teres-off road bikes

Hi ,
    I have been riding for many years, but have not owned a FS bike. I would like a light bike, but I do not have unlimited funds-I read the rave reviews of the SCB bikes. A wealthy friend mentioned that he bought the 7-Teres because it does not have the extra weight in the rear, but it it has a modified suspension in the rear- so there is some suspension.. What are the approximate weights of these two bikes? I live in New york City, and have an excellent bike shop that carries the Santa Cruz Blur- the shops that carry the 7 are not that convenient for service. Is there anyone who has experience with these two bikes? I
    am a senior citizen-(triathlete) and would like to spend between- 2500- 3500 -which bike would give me more bang for the buck ?
    Thanks,
    Mel

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm thinking about a Blur

I sold my YBB frame in December. It is a nice ride, beautiful bike but I have decided I want more suspension. I am looking at the Blur XC or the Racer X. I think the Teres is like the YBB. I just feel that more travel will give me higher performance. Plus for that price you can build a Blur that is almost as light as the Seven.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I hear you

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    I sold my YBB frame in December. It is a nice ride, beautiful bike but I have decided I want more suspension. I am looking at the Blur XC or the Racer X. I think the Teres is like the YBB. I just feel that more travel will give me higher performance. Plus for that price you can build a Blur that is almost as light as the Seven.
    The YBB is such a beautiful bike but a bit hard on my sensitive 40-year-old butt! Too bad Moots doesn't build a FS bike I like. The build quality is mind blowing.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    The Blur can do more and give more. With the RP3 and VPP it can be very efficient and very plush. More travel=less abuse to the body. I like the Seven but they cost more and the Teres just doesn't do all that the Blur can. If you were going to race relatively smooth single track the Seven would be good. If you want an all around trail bike buy the SC.

My wealthy friend has the Seven too, but it only goes to certain trails. He has many bikes for different jobs. Many of us take the Blurs everywhere.

As for the weight of the SC use the bike builder at there site for estimates. The Seven will be scary light. Good luck.