mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Santa Cruz Blur LT frame size

Is anyone 5'11" to 6' riding a XL Blur LT?
    I have a large frame but feel it's a little short. I'm used to wide bars and 70mm stems but this just feels too short on the large frame. I feel 'perched' on the bike so I'm not confident on the steep downhills. I'm thinking an XL would be good though?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm 5'8 and would ride a medium BLT. Had a Nomad in a medium and it felt good but the way SC are designed they tend to have the "on top" feeling instead of "in the bike" feeling. The BLT and Nomad have pretty short ETT for their given size. For example, My El Guapo has a 23" ETT, the newer version has a 23.5 ETT. My yeti asr5 has a 23.65 ETT and is also a medium.

Truth is that you'd probably fare ok with an XL but maybe it's time to look at a different brand to see how the fit compares. You could also try an 80mm stem and add another 20mm to bar width and see how that goes. Gonna slow down the steering though while climbing should improve a bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just looked at the geo charts. If you went to the XL you might be about half an inch long in the top tube. Could always drop to a 50 or 60mm stem.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    how high is your seatpost at? I was on a 2010 specialized hardrock disc that i built up and that was an xl. rode it for 2-3 years before i built my santa cruz blur lt which is a meidum. I found the xl to be much to big i felt stretched over the bike. I am 5' 11" tall. I feel so much happier and comfortable on my blur compared. The xl isn't very snappy at cornering to me. to each there own. whatever fits. You can always make the bike fit you better i.e.layback seatpost smaller or larger stem. bars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the replies.
    I have about 6" of seatpost showing, currently using a Easton Haven carbon handlebar (711mm) and trying an 80mm stem on my 150mm Revelation forks. This still feels a little short for climbing and the steering feels too light and vague.
    I'll maybe try an angleset headset of some sort to slacken the head angle a degree to lengthen the wheelbase and weight up the steering a bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    this is a tough one to diagnose over the internet. With about 6" of seat post exposed, it sounds like the Large fits you OK, just a little shorter reach than you like. Are you riding open trails or tight s-track in the woods? If you can, try bumping the bars out to 740mm and see how that works out. Can you remove any spacers below the stem? Dropping 10mm in stack height and widening the bars will make a huge difference in your reach.

If you already think the steering is slow with a 710 bar and 70mm stem, going longer on the stem and/or wider bars will only make it worse. I think the BlurLT's head tube angle is already topped out with a 150mm fork but I could be wrong. I think going with an angle adjust headset to slack it out more will slow down the steering further. Plus it'll slacken out the seat tube angle making climbing worse yet again. You could compensate by sliding the saddle forward a bit but then you're defeating the purpose.

Your best bet would be to find a bike with a similar ETT as the XL BLT, around 24.5", and see how you feel on that bike. If you really like the added reach you may be best to either jump up a size on the BLT or switch bikes. In fact, the BLT in an XL should allow you to go with many different options in bar width, stem length, etc.

Just some thoughts... I'm currently going through the exact opposite with my ASR5 so it is a very intersting conversation for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi, I think you miss read. The steering is fast and vague at the moment which is why I was thinking of a slacker head angle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ahh. I did missread it then. In that case, longer stem and/or wider bars will slow it down and stretch you out more. Anyway, good luck with the fitting.