mtbr member
    Jan 2007

S-works M2 Frame

I've worked on bikes quite a bit, but not from the ground up. I have the opportunity to get a 1998 Specialized M2 frame that I was thinking of building up. Is this a good frame? Also, is there anything I need to watch out for with this older frame that may be non-standard for parts compatibility. Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Geometry wise its pretty much the same as todays Stumpjumper hardtail except for maybe a 27.2 mm seat tube. If chainsuck along the chainstay doesnt bother you then it would be a nice frame to build up. I had a 2000 SJ that i had down around 23 pounds with an XT buildup on an XL frame. The Stumpjumper frames seem to hold their value pretty well. I liked the SJ a lot although I think todays carbon frames make for a better race grade hardtail and wouldnt cost a lot more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have a 96 frame, powder coated and love it. Fully rigid with gears. Bombproof. I'm about to build a bike and if I can get one in red then that will be the frame of choice.
    Buy one you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    Geometry wise its pretty much the same as todays Stumpjumper hardtail except for maybe a 27.2 mm seat tube. If chainsuck along the chainstay doesnt bother you then it would be a nice frame to build up. I had a 2000 SJ that i had down around 23 pounds with an XT buildup on an XL frame. The Stumpjumper frames seem to hold their value pretty well. I liked the SJ a lot although I think todays carbon frames make for a better race grade hardtail and wouldnt cost a lot more.
    Actually that is a little untrue, it is similar to the M4 frames for example but not the same. 73 seat, 71 head angle and almost identical top tube length like the newer stumpies. But a long chain stay at 16.95, not like the 16.25" like the later models. Great bike, I have a '98 as well that bought for $31 on ebay that is a work of beauty, I value it over all other Special-Eds I've owned and it is my single speed. Everything is compatible/standard with what we have today except no disk brake tabs. I have run it disk front v brake rear and it's been great. Limited tire width though in the rear... I also have a '01 Stumpjumper, you notice the shorter chainstays (bad in my opinion) but it has the disk tabs and increased tire width. Basically completely cutting edge/comparabile to today's bikes. Both of mine have been bullet proof tanks that took a lickin and keep on tickin and weight next to nothing. It really was the era when Specialized was in its hey day. I actually genuinely love and enjoy these bikes...
    Last edited by dieselcruiserhead; 08-23-2008 at 10:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the great info! I'm still debating.