mtbr member
    Jan 2004

S and S coupled full suspension bike?

howdy- friend of mine loves his old steel ritchey (RITCHEY!) ht mountain bike that he has had for years. It's S & S coupled and he has traveled to South America several times with it to do adventure races... His back bothers him on the 3 day+ events so he is thinking about an S & S coupled full suspension bike... By default that means custom steel builders...

Anybody know of some or better yet pictures?

Thanks.

jv

mtbr member
    I'll let the others chime in, too, but what about removing the chainstay/seatstays at their pivots? All suspension bikes are folding, sorta.
    I am ByStickel
    ByStickel Facebook Please take a look.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i hear you and that's what I said too, but he seems intimidated by that process and doesn't want it to get all flexy...

jv

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jvossman
    i hear you and that's what I said too, but he seems intimidated by that process and doesn't want it to get all flexy...

jv
    Just look to your right and click on the S&S hardshell case review to see how it's done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

No good

kid gloves off: dumb effin' idea.
    something that has unboltable sections already, why introduce more?
    absolutely zero benefit, with roughly 500$ extra expense (on top of the custom steel ss frame cost)
    if he's looking to avoid flexy, ask him why he wants to introduce more detachable points to a frame that already has several of them??

I don't even know a framebuilder that would do it.
    Curtlo's site for example specifically lists that they won't do couplings on a full suspension bike... something to consider.
    (only when you tell your friend, tell him I was nicer about it... )

FWIW I bought an '05 (maybe it's an '06?) Santa Cruz Heckler, has these great little caps on the swingarm, 2 bolts per side with a 5mm allen key and the rear end of the bike is off.
    faster and simpler than couplings.
    Searched for this specific year for that exact reason, can be broken down easily for travel/full squish bike.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    kid gloves off: dumb effin' idea.
    something that has unboltable sections already, why introduce more?
    absolutely zero benefit, with roughly 500$ extra expense (on top of the custom steel ss frame cost)
    if he's looking to avoid flexy, ask him why he wants to introduce more detachable points to a frame that already has several of them??

I don't even know a framebuilder that would do it.
    Curtlo's site for example specifically lists that they won't do couplings on a full suspension bike... something to consider.
    (only when you tell your friend, tell him I was nicer about it... )

FWIW I bought an '05 (maybe it's an '06?) Santa Cruz Heckler, has these great little caps on the swingarm, 2 bolts per side with a 5mm allen key and the rear end of the bike is off.
    faster and simpler than couplings.
    Searched for this specific year for that exact reason, can be broken down easily for travel/full squish bike.
    Did you even look at the review? Guess not because if you did you would see they do not use couplers. They use the case that S&S sells for bikes that use their couplers. The bike that's being packed in the case is a full sus that's simply taken apart at the suspension points. Nice rant though.

mtbr member
    Suspension seatpost, perhaps?

Most people don't like the IDEA of a susp post, but the ones I know who have actually tried them, like them.

That, plus a folding 29er should do the trick. Have him call me
    I am ByStickel
    ByStickel Facebook Please take a look.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Slingshot?