mtbr member
    Feb 2012

S or M 26er FSR Stumpy? Please Help me!!

Hello friends....

I posted another day few models that I was considering to buy....and the advice was "test as many models as you can"..And I did it.... I tried few Specialized models, including 26er and 29ers, for StumpJumper and Cambers. The one I have found the best ridden was a 2011 26er StumpJumper FSR Comp (M size).

This is a amazing bike compared to the Cambers that I've tried, better shocks, components...great travel...But, there is a problem...I tried the M size, and the people from the store told me that I should go for a Small.....There wasnt any Stump S to try, but there was in Camber model...and to be honest to you, I preffered the M them S for the Camber.. I found S too small...

Once the Stumpy have more travel compared to Camber FSR 26ers models (140mm vs 120mm) maybe the Stumpy S would fit better them the Camber S for me... but I'm not sure...and this seems to be a unique opportunity...this bike is MSRP 2,5k and will cost 2k..

I know that I'm not tall, I have 5'5" and 135 lbs (65kg and 167 cm)....I wish to know if more people with my size rides Stumpy FSR models in M size, and if have any concerns.... Also, I saw a sumpy chart, and it seems that I'm between models...

Specialized Bike Size Guide | Cyclestore.co.uk

I would like to hear from others experience...

Thanks!
    Last edited by chickcoria; 02-13-2012 at 08:06 PM.

LightJunction.com
    Looks like you're right about being between the sizes. With that, I'd offer you this to consider...

The smaller your bike is, the more maneuverable it is, and the more confident you'll feel over rough terrain. So, if you plan on riding this bike on technical trails with obstacles and steep climbs/descents, I'd go with the Small. If you plan on riding this bike on smooth singletrack and fire roads, I'd go with the M.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Not knowing where and how you ride I'd recommend a small.
    BUT....if you feel more at home on a med then there it is.

I'll also tell you this to add a little confusion.
    been mtnbiking for over 20yrs and the most miserable bike I've owned was one that was slightly to small,lots and lots of end-overs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'll give you my opinion as I have been in the same situation on more than one occasion.

It isn't just the size difference in frames but also the stems too. Specialized's site shows the stem length on both bikes, stumpy & camber, being the same on each for the same frame size. Small has a stem length of 60mm and the Med has a stem length of 75mm. The effective top tube on the models is almost the same too in small and med.

Adding the difference in effective top tube length and stem length between the two sizes and you have a 45 (stumpy) and 49mm (camber) difference between the small and medium. For what it is worth, 49mm is a big difference . If I were you, i'd test ride the small with a longer stem - the stem from the medium on it. I'd also test ride a brand with a size inbetween the specialized bikes. Don't make your decision until you've done this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lightjunction View Post
    Looks like you're right about being between the sizes. With that, I'd offer you this to consider...

The smaller your bike is, the more maneuverable it is, and the more confident you'll feel over rough terrain. So, if you plan on riding this bike on technical trails with obstacles and steep climbs/descents, I'd go with the Small. If you plan on riding this bike on smooth singletrack and fire roads, I'd go with the M.
    Yep...I got that! I'll start to use the bike in US and them I'll bring it to Brazil, where we have much more open spaces, not technical trails...Thats why Im thinking on M size...

I don't know about you Bird, but maybe considering situation like this (similar to XC) would you go with M?

MNigro...I talked to people from the LBS and they will prepare a Stump M and a Small size...I think you are right abut the stems...When I tried the Small Camber was awful..for the same reasons...It might be different with the Stump...the small size they have in the store is the Evo, with more travel them the Stump Comp M (150 vs 140)...I'll try tomorrow....and I'm pretty sure that will be nice...but cost 1k more them the other! Also, I have been looking for bikes for a long time...Just yesterday I passed by 5 stores...insane! And I havent find ANY bike in M or S sizes....nothing!!!

I think there is something funny at all....Im realizing that my old MTB in Brazil was too big to me, but I never had problem riding on that thing for years and years..thats why I feel uncomfortable in a Small size....even if its appropriate for my size I feel to small in the bike...thats crazy!!

There are 2 other points....with a M size I could borrow to my brother (but not the S size, he is between M and L) and easily re-sell if I need too...If I find to big, I could even pass this bike to him and look after a better deal on a S, which seems to no exist right now...

The Small model would be much more difficult to re-sell...I think....=/

Ill try tomorrow and make a new post!
    Thanks for your tips..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chickcoria View Post
    MNigro...I talked to people from the LBS and they will prepare a Stump M and a Small size...I think you are right abut the stems...When I tried the Small Camber was awful..for the same reasons...It might be different with the Stump...the small size they have in the store is the Evo, with more travel them the Stump Comp M (150 vs 140)...I'll try tomorrow....and I'm pretty sure that will be nice...but cost 1k more them the other! Also, I have been looking for bikes for a long time...Just yesterday I passed by 5 stores...insane! And I havent find ANY bike in M or S sizes....nothing!!!
    what I was basically trying to say is that you were feeling the effects of a smaller frame AND a shorter stem. maybe you got that from my post. what I was suggesting is that you try the two bike sizes with the 75mm stem. Could also try them both with the 60mm stem. You might find that by doing this, it will make a significant difference in the feel of the bike and give you a clear winner. By the way, a 60mm stem is pretty short. I'd want a nice, wide bar for that... 710mm at least. this will stabilize the handling a bit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    what I was basically trying to say is that you were feeling the effects of a smaller frame AND a shorter stem. maybe you got that from my post. what I was suggesting is that you try the two bike sizes with the 75mm stem. Could also try them both with the 60mm stem. You might find that by doing this, it will make a significant difference in the feel of the bike and give you a clear winner. By the way, a 60mm stem is pretty short. I'd want a nice, wide bar for that... 710mm at least. this will stabilize the handling a bit.
    Hey! Tks again for your post....Here is the deal...I tried the S Stumpjumper EVO and I found it great.. Its way batter them the Camber model in S size, and once it has 150mm of travel you can use it even with the 60mm stem (maybe a little bigger will be better, but 60mm is fine anyway). The M model has a 90mm stem, which I found it a little bit long...the people at the LBS will change it for a 7.5mm and I'll try again...I think that will be enough to be more comfortable...

Considering the other aspects I think the M model was pretty nice too...It has less travel (140mm) but cost 1k less them the other model... with a shorter stem this could easely be the winner.... =)

Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0