Thread: Rush 5Z for XC?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Rush 5Z for XC?

I'm looking at getting into XC racing next spring, but will need a new bike as my current one is an old, heavy beast (33lb. 3x6 rigid). What do you think about an '08 Cannondale Rush 5Z? It's stock, except no pedals, and I think no seat. That's not a problem as I heard the stock pedals suck, and I have a new seat on my current bike I can transfer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If your looking for a serious race bike look at a Scalpel ,otherwise the Rush 5z is an xc bike by design and would be a considerable upgrade from your "beast".

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a 5Z and am very happy with it. Stock pedals are junk. Seat is a nice seat, just didn't fit my ass.

You may want to test it out as the bike has a rather long wheelbase. I had lots of trouble dealing with this until I got a 90mm stem to replace the stock one. Now I really like the feel.

I weighed my bike on a bike scale a month ago and it came in at 29.5lbs. Stock except for WTB seat, Shimano pedals, Hutchinson Python 2.3 front tire and a slime tube in stock rear tire and the basic Ergon lock-on grips. Computer & metal water bottle cage. Medium 2008 5z.

Test it out. I only do XC, no jumps whatsoever. I would maybe be a little happier on a Scalpel but it's much more money and the Fox RL on the front of the Rush is much better than the lower end Lefty's it seems.

-Steve in NJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Unfortunately, it was an eBay bike, and my internet connection went down before I was able to get on and bid. And it only went for $556!