mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Rocky Mountain Hammer 2001 or Kona Kula 2004

I have about a day to decide between tow used bikes. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's the specs:

Kona Kula 2004 - $600
    (Marzochi fork, RaceFace cranks, edium size (17") Easton Race Lite aluminum hardtail, Hayes hydraulic disk brakes, Tioga tires) - size 17

or

2001 Rocky Mountain Hammer - $350
    2002 Marzocchis (overhauled for its 2nd time last fall and rides like a dream)
    f:specialized hub on weimann rim
    r: Shimano LX on Mavic 517
    cassette:
    Shimano LX
    Rear der: Shimano XT
    Front der: Shimano XT
    Crank: Shimano XT
    shifters: sram rocket (gripshift), if you want triggers let me know which level/quality
    Handlebar/ Stem: Bontrager
    Seatpost: Thomson

Your opinions are greatly appreciated. I'm just looking for the best deal...but I want a bike that will last me and I will be proud of and want to upkeep/upgrade, etc.

ride hard take risks
    How tall are you? what brakes on the RM? Newer is usually better! but not allways? what type of ridin you planning?
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm 5'8", which should fit both bikes. I'm pretty sure the RM doesn't have disk brakes, thats all i know. And I'm planning on do a bit of everything...from an adventure race to trail riding and just fooling around. I need something that will last, but I dont need a Downhill bomber beast..if you know what I mean.

ride hard take risks
    The Kona would be your best bet then. Hayes 9's are not the best but they are good. The Kona is a well built bike & it has less years on it so hopefully it will hold up to your riding.

If your interested in New check our a Trophy Comp in a 16" for street & trail fun or the 18" for XC.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-Details.html

Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    I am gonna have to go with the Kula on this one. It sounds like a decent fit and if it look like new and rides like new then its pretty much a no brainer. The Rm Hammer sounds interesting and on a decent trail ride test might be the better bike even if cheaper. I think its got a steel frame. Edge to the Kula.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i got the kona...and i think it was the right choice. excellent condition and great components for the price.

mtbr member
    You got a great bike and you can always upgrade it when stuff starts wearing out. Kula's have taken a lot of guys to the podium.