mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Which Should I Buy!! Rocky Mountain ETSX-50 vs Iron horse Hollowpoint - HELP

Well this may seem odd to some I am trying to decide between these two frames. I ride a lot XC, I currently ride a hardtail, which has been fine on all the trails I ride, but I really want to try full suspension. Heres the situation, the Rocky Mountain is going to cost more than the Mkiii, and I not sure if it is worth the extra money. The ETSX-50 is a 2002, completely rebuilt last off season, the mkiii is a 2006 and was also rebuilt in the offseason. I have read a ton of reviews that people love the mkiii, due to its low pedal feedback, and great climbing. On the other hand, the ETSX is a Rocky Mountain. They are both complete bike with similar levels of components and the price difference is $250.

Here are pictures of both them, I am mainly looking for a comparison of the two and opinions. Thanksl

North Face Kichatna
    Fork - Fox Vanilla R 100
    Shock - Manitou QR
    Brakes - Shimano SLX
    Crank - Fire X
    Derailuer - SRAM X5 Rear, Deore Front
    Wheel Set - WTB Speed Wheels

Rocky Mountain ETSX-50
    Fork - Marzocchi Bomber (Dual Air)
    Shock - Fox Float RL
    Brakes - Shimano Deore
    Crank - Race Face
    Derailuer - Shimano XT
    Wheel Set - Vuelta Light

Last edited by muffetmd; 06-19-2012 at 05:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Please someone respond!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rocky mountain

Hi

We are talking about used bikes. Therefore I would choose the one with a history of longevity.

I know the Ironhorse Mkiii frame had problems with the rear triangle breaking.

I remember that I did consider the ETSX-50 at one time and I still think of it as a good bike. You might want to check reviews in MTBR.

I only posted to tell you about historical problems with the Mkiii frame.
    sorry that I am not more help.
    Poser

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That version of the Iron Horse has not had any real issues. I had mine for 5 years of hard use before I moved on. I would take the Iron Horse out of those 2 (since warranties are void since both bikes are used and one company is dead).

I would look at other frames as well since deals ($500-$1000 or so) can be had for new with warranty frames with better geometry and shocks.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I'm confused

You say you are looking at a 2006 MKIII, but the top picture and description is for a different bike.
    Last edited by kapusta; 06-29-2012 at 08:53 AM.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You have not mentioned how much the bikes will cost. Unless it is SUPER cheap, I'd pass on both.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    You have not mentioned how much the bikes will cost. Unless it is SUPER cheap, I'd pass on both.
    They both ended up being 400, I picked up the Rocky Mountain on wed. I am happy with it so far, it needs the oil and seals changed in the fork but otherwise feels great. Was that what ya meant by super cheap?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My GF has the ETSX50, 2008 model though with the carbon rear swing-arm. It is a great bike and climbs incredibly well. I out-climbed other riders on some ugly rocky terrain during a race. I also think the Rocky Mountain brand is something special. Wondeful machine. congratulations. You made the right choice..