mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Rocky Element 70 vs. Devinci DragonFly

Does anyone have any feedback on these bikes? I'm currently debating between the two. I'm looking for a nice cross-country bike which I can race and use for everyday trail riding. Some of the trails I do are fairly technical, no drops, with lots of rocks so the bike can get beat up and must be able to take it. I would be far more careful with a new bike, but "stuff" happens.

I've yet to ride them, but I hope to do this very soon. Does anyone have some tips on test driving a new bike? What should I look for? Obviously fit, but that is easy to tell and even then almost any bike can be made to fit well.

Thanks

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Element has been around for a while..

Quote Originally Posted by witcomb
    Does anyone have any feedback on these bikes? I'm currently debating between the two. I'm looking for a nice cross-country bike which I can race and use for everyday trail riding. Some of the trails I do are fairly technical, no drops, with lots of rocks so the bike can get beat up and must be able to take it. I would be far more careful with a new bike, but "stuff" happens.

I've yet to ride them, but I hope to do this very soon. Does anyone have some tips on test driving a new bike? What should I look for? Obviously fit, but that is easy to tell and even then almost any bike can be made to fit well.

Thanks
    And is still a viable design IMO. Rocky has upped the travel to about 4 inches now so it fits the current XC/Trailbike mold.

Check the reviews on the Rocky's on the site. Should give you some good insight. Last year was the Instinct, Element, Carve and Fanatik. The names have changed in years past but I know Rocky's been using that design for a while, at least since '99 and most likely 3-4 years earlier.

Rocky's do tend to fit a bit differently, but test ride. On your test ride, INSIST that the shocks are set up right for you, even if it's only a parking lot test. Can make the difference between a bike riding good or like crap.

Good luck!

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I do like the Rocky, I may find myself being biased towards it. I like the suspension design, simple and intuitive. Although the Devinci is similar to alot of setups out there now as well. I was hoping to see some feedback from people who own the bikes. I've seen the reviews on their webpage, but nothing for this years Element. The overall design hasn't changed, but they are not the same as last years.

I'll keep the suspension adjustment in mind, I hadn't thought of that. I ride a cheap giant at the moment which does the job, but you just get on and ride so I easily overlook things like that.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Element a single-pivot rear suspension design? If so, you're probably getting your money's worth with the Devinci, since it uses a Horst link which I believe is pretty much the same design as the Ellsworth Truth. More pedaling efficiency and less bob.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Interseting. I had thought that the Element had no bob problems. However, after looking more for it, it appears that it does. I'll have to test that out and see how it is. The other RM option would be the ETSX, but that seems to be on the heavy side. I don't know why but I see to bias towards the Rocky and away from the Devinci. I have heard though once you ride the Devinci, things will change.

what...?
    I've been on an elementSC for 4 yrs now. great ride. Just Pushed the float too. No bob at all.
    But if I were buying a new bike now, Id look at the Slayer. More travel, platform suspension, and definately a burlier ride without a big weight penalty.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

4 Bar but not Horst

Quote Originally Posted by dinger
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Element a single-pivot rear suspension design? If so, you're probably getting your money's worth with the Devinci, since it uses a Horst link which I believe is pretty much the same design as the Ellsworth Truth. More pedaling efficiency and less bob.
    It's got a seatstay pivot instead of the horst link to make it a 'real' 4 bar. I've ridden both Seatstay and Chainstay pivots and noticed other things a lot more than that pivot location.
    There are some vocal advocates of the Horst link, heck I used to be one of 'em, but after riding a few different bikes. I found I couldn't tell the difference. Shock setup and type has as much to do with bob as that pivot location, probably more. Derby and a few others can give ya all the theory and a more detailed perspective. I just know that the Mac-Strut Specialized (Horst link 3 Bar) had more bob and mushy feeling than did the Jamis or the Rocky that I've ridden. The old 'Goose (another Horst 3 Bar) didn't have the bob, but also didn't fit me right either (and therefore not alot of time riding it to properly critique it.)

It's similar to the Jamis Dakar's but the linkage is off the seat tube instead of the top tube, or like the Titus Racer X with a seat stay pivot.

Test ride 'em both and get the one you like. I don't think either is a slouch.
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

Know your Rocky . . .

Look, I'm 200 lbs and I can't make an Element bob, and I don't have to run too much pressure in the shock to do it. Every ounce of pedal power goes straight to the back wheel. The Rocky is a fantastically well-built, well-balanced ride. Over the last three years I've ridden every suspension desigh from Specialized, Trek, Yeti, Intense, Santa Cruz, Giant, Ellsworth, K2, and Klein. Of that group, only the most expensive Yeti can put a smile on my face like the Rocky. Yes, it's an older suspension design, but it has stood the test of time, and they have really refined it. Technically, it can be called a single pivot because of the pivot location, but it still responds better than most newer designs. Now, with the stable platform shock, life can only get better, if that's even possible.

Sorry I can't speak to the Devinci. I know some Canadian shops are moving to them because the appear to give comparable quality for less money. This may or may not be true--the care RM puts into every frame is hard to beat.

Bottom line is you still gotta test ride both to see if one feels better to you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Just rode both

Well, I just rode the Element 50 and the DragonFly. The DragonFly fits very well, I was amazed at the difference in feel. I took out the DragonFly first and within 5 seconds on the Element I knew the DragonFly was a nicer fit. The Element seems to ride like a bus, very up right and wide. The DragonFly on the other hand, your low and stretched out.

So, it is pretty obvious which one I prefer. However, I was unable to ride them on a trail and I'm curious how they would both feel going down a technical hill. The DragonFly would leave you over the handbars all the time forcing you to get your weight back. The Element though would leave you sitting pretty good on the decent. I guess I'll have to continue to debate.