mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Rockhopper vs. Piranha

Hi. I'm just getting back into biking and want to get a decent entry level bike for $500 - $600. I'll use it for trails (nothing too serious as of yet) and for biking to work. I've been looking at the Specialized RockHopper and the Gary Fisher Piranha at the LBS. I'm 6', 165#. Any advice/opinions? Thanks.

No Fear!
    Quote Originally Posted by sebgordon
    Hi. I'm just getting back into biking and want to get a decent entry level bike for $500 - $600. I'll use it for trails (nothing too serious as of yet) and for biking to work. I've been looking at the Specialized RockHopper and the Gary Fisher Piranha at the LBS. I'm 6', 165#. Any advice/opinions? Thanks.

I had a Rockhopper a few years ago and it was very nice ride very good for climbing and for trails,I think both bikes come with pretty much the same components?i cant comment on the GF Piranha becuase i have never ridden one,

Will work 4 Fisher's
    Jun 2006
    I would go with the Fisher. The components (in my opinion) are better (because they're shimano. And it's a really nice looking bike too. It has disc brakes. Or, you could get the Marlin. Same everything as the piranha, except no disc brakes so it's a bit cheaper.