Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rockhopper vs. F5 vs. F7 vs.....

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  silves1171 
#1 ·
Hello-
I'm looking for a hardtail with disc brakes (hydraulic would be sweet, but I'm on a budget).
I've looked at a few and compared prices, but each bike shop says that their bike brand is the better one.

So far, I like:
Cannondale F5
Cannondale F7
Specialized Rockhopper

I wanted to know if any of these had better components or if there was something else lurking about. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Dont worry about getting hydraulics. They arent really better until you get into the really expensive rigs. I always recommend the rockhopper over the base cannondale f series because of its better frame. What is your price range? As to components (which arent as important as the frame) the cannondale f5 has slightly better a drivetrain, thats about the only difference to the rockhopper. The f7 is pretty much crap honestly. Another thing to remember is geometry. the bike should fit you, and while specialized's and cannondales and other brands make the same frame size, their geometries do differ. As a result, you should buy the bike that feels the best to YOU, all other implications aside. Some people love the feel of specialized, others love the feel of cannondale. Its really whatever. My personal recommendation is to go for the specialized rockhopper comp disc. It has much nicer components, you would love it, and the frame is very nice too. However, thats only if you prefer the rockhopper frame feel to the cannondale (you should look for something that balances out nicely, not something that puts you in a comfort bike position). Also, geometry can, up to a point, be modified by moving saddles, changing stem length, handlebars, and raising and lowering the stem. Just a side note. Good luck.

BTW, take a look at giant, fisher, and trek frames in the same category.

#3 ·
Thanks a million. I forgot to mention my price range: $800 or less. I like the feel of both the F5 and Rockhopper, so that's not a problem. There aren't that many shops in my area, and those that are here have only 2 or 3 models of Trek, Giant, etc. I have to go to REI for the F5 and Spokes Etc. for the RH. I read reviews on the RH and a recurring issue was a weak back rim. Am I missing something or are the reviewers just tough trail riders? I will be doing about 50/50 road/trails with my new bike, buying a seperate set of tires for the road.

#4 ·
Dirt Bringer said:
Dont worry about getting hydraulics. They arent really better until you get into the really expensive rigs. I always recommend the rockhopper over the base cannondale f series because of its better frame. What is your price range? As to components (which arent as important as the frame) the cannondale f5 has slightly better a drivetrain, thats about the only difference to the rockhopper. The f7 is pretty much crap honestly. Another thing to remember is geometry. the bike should fit you, and while specialized's and cannondales and other brands make the same frame size, their geometries do differ. As a result, you should buy the bike that feels the best to YOU, all other implications aside. Some people love the feel of specialized, others love the feel of cannondale. Its really whatever. My personal recommendation is to go for the specialized rockhopper comp disc. It has much nicer components, you would love it, and the frame is very nice too. However, thats only if you prefer the rockhopper frame feel to the cannondale (you should look for something that balances out nicely, not something that puts you in a comfort bike position). Also, geometry can, up to a point, be modified by moving saddles, changing stem length, handlebars, and raising and lowering the stem. Just a side note. Good luck.

BTW, take a look at giant, fisher, and trek frames in the same category.
Some very good thoughts.

I like the Rockhopper and am considering it myself. But I'm actually comparing picking up the RH and swapping out with a better fork or just picking up a Cannondale F3 or F4. The F3 is still made in USA and the headshok works very well.

My budget is closer to $1000. But I think that will fullfill my needs best.

#6 ·
While I was looking at the Cdale F5 and the GF Marlin Disc, after ruling out the the Trek 6000 (cost with like specs to the F5) and Rockhopper Comp Disc (downgraded equip - Alivio/Acera 8sp doesn't belong in this price group), I found a better deal.

Just ordered this morning 2008 Jamis Dakota Sport for $699. Compared to the others - upgraded fork, RS Tora 302, brakes - shimano deore hydraulics, and drivetrain - deore and XT combo. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI290A00-Jamis+Dakota+Sport+Bike+2008.aspx The 2009 are like equipted (cheaper Tekro brakes) but over $1000. At that price I couldn't resist.

#8 ·
ianrab said:
Thanks a million. I forgot to mention my price range: $800 or less. I like the feel of both the F5 and Rockhopper, so that's not a problem. There aren't that many shops in my area, and those that are here have only 2 or 3 models of Trek, Giant, etc. I have to go to REI for the F5 and Spokes Etc. for the RH. I read reviews on the RH and a recurring issue was a weak back rim. Am I missing something or are the reviewers just tough trail riders? I will be doing about 50/50 road/trails with my new bike, buying a seperate set of tires for the road.
With $800 you can afford the RH comp or the f5. I would go with the f5 provided it is comfortable. It has a bit better drivetrain components than the RH. The RH is a pretty nice frame but it should be better spec'd for the price.

#12 ·
:D IT CAME!!!:D
ordered it tuesday night,
got here saturday at 2-ish
WOOOOOOO!!!!!
so far, everyone who's seen it has gawked at it:eekster: :eek:
as for the 6k vs. rh, the guy at the lbs didn't even show me the 6k. he went straight for the rh.

#13 ·
tough choice. my budget was $600 before and my lbs had the base RH for 499, the f7 for 579, and the P.1 AM for 499. i took the p.1am for the disc brakes & heavy duty fatter shocks.

the f7's RST Gila shocks looked wimpy, and the dart3's had thinner stancions than the p.1's. the p.1am looked more durable to me since i like to hop all around on my bike making like 20 jumps per ride.

the p.1 is a bit heavier than the RH though. but i love my discs

#14 ·
I know you already got it but figured I'd post up. I got a F5 about 2 months ago and my gf is in the process of getting a 2010 Rockhopper Comp Disc. Both are very very similar bikes, some components are a bit better on the F5 but nothing to stress about.

For both it should just come down to how each one feels. They are both great rides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.