2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009

Rockhopper Comp Disc vs expert disc.

I am wondering if you guys feel the extra money is really worth it on the expert disc. The difference is 330 and all I really care about is the fork. Im a bigger guy, so im not sure if the dart 3 sl is right for me. Strong enough. Im looking to do some trails, some DH and then daily street riding. I want a fork which wont allow me to go head over heels, if I hit a small ditch. I am also ok with V breaks vs disc breaks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The Tora on the Expert will be stiffer than the Dart for sure. 32mm vs 28mm stanchions will make a big difference. Overall, there are a bunch of incremental upgrades: mech discs to hydro discs, 8sp to 9sp, better drivetrain components. If it was my money, I'd go for the Expert.

There's no app for this.

Absolutely...

skip the Dart at all costs; the upgrade to a real fork is without doubt the best thing you can do.

Jim

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    skip the Dart at all costs; the upgrade to a real fork is without doubt the best thing you can do.

Jim

+1
    I have a RH Comp Disc and the worst part on it by far is the Dart3. It's so bad I usually just ride with the lock out on because it's so spongy but even then when I hit the brakes the whole fork shudders because the legs are so whimpy. I'll be upgrading to a Fox or higher end Rock Shock ASAP.
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

Aug 2009
    Im thinking of just getting a rockhopper and buying a higher end fork possibly the tora. Im not so much a fan of the disc breaks so far.

There's no app for this.

if you ride when

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    I'm thinking of just getting a rockhopper and buying a higher end fork possibly the Tora. I'm not so much a fan of the disc breaks so far.

it's wet or muddy in NY, you need disc brakes. I don't know why you don't like them, but before you make a move, read the Disc brake FAQ - upper right - in the Brakes Forum. At the very least, ensure any new bike has disc hubs on it, or you risk major upgrade costs if you ever change your mind, or try to sell it later.

Jim

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    I like disc brakes better than the V brakes. They stop better and are easier to modulate, for sure. That said they are a little bit finicky when it comes to adjusting them but once they're set they're golden! Just my $.02
    Robb

Aug 2009
    The thing is I dont think they stop better. Some say its because the bikes were new, but hundreds of people had test rode them. I find it likely to be an excuse for bad performance. I could be wrong and hope that I am wrong. But I know V breaks work, ive used em for years. V breaks enable be to stop incredibly fast, when I need to. Disc breaks voth mechanical and hydrolic have long drawn out stopping. I go maybe 3-5 feet before I stop when I pushed down full force on the breaks. This was not one 1 bike, but 3 hary fishers, 2 specialized and 1 trek. 5 of them were old 09 models and simply floor models. They were meant to be ridden. One of them was even a rental bike. I read the faq, it was very informative.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    No worries then. It seems that your break choice is clear. My experience with discs has been really positive that is if I have them tuned the right way.
    Go with what ya know and have fun.
    Robb

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Im thinking of just getting a rockhopper and buying a higher end fork possibly the tora. Im not so much a fan of the disc breaks so far.
    Many, though not all, of the higher end forks are disc only these days.

There's no app for this.

Just to be clear

The thing is I don't think they stop better. Some say its because the bikes were new, but hundreds of people had test rode them. I find it likely to be an excuse for bad performance. I could be wrong and hope that I am wrong. But I know V breaks work, I've used em for years. V breaks enable be to stop incredibly fast, when I need to. Disc breaks both mechanical and hydrolic have long drawn out stopping. I go maybe 3-5 feet before I stop when I pushed down full force on the breaks. This was not one 1 bike, but 3 Gary fishers, 2 specialized and 1 trek. 5 of them were old 09 models and simply floor models. They were meant to be ridden. One of them was even a rental bike. I read the FAQ, it was very informative.
    I've used discs for years, and all outperform any VBrake out there. I ride in wet and mud, and steep technical, so VBrakes are simply a bad joke for us in the PNW. The ones you tried are floor model bikes, so the disc brakes are not broken in, and will feel ineffective. Seeing you've a preference to Vbrakes though, make sure that the bike you get has hubs to take discs, and make sure the fork will take VBrakes.

jc

mtbr member
    The thing is I dont think they stop better.
    Not trying to be harsh, but its not really a matter of opinion. Disc brakes are stronger. Apparently none of those floor models were broken in and/or properly setup, which makes sense since they are floor models. As for the rental I'm not sure; maybe it was just not well taken care of

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If disc brakes weren't stronger and modulate better, then Dh'ers wouldn't be using them.

However, I will say this for v-brakes: set up correctly they can have more "bite" than discs. I'm not aware of any trials bike or trials rider with a disc setup in back. In trials you don't need modulation, heat dissipation, or controllable power; you just need the wheel to stay stock-still when you're hopping around on it. Rim brakes, whether hydraulic or v, can hold a wheel better, with less arm pump, than disc brakes. This can lead to the impression of more power in a parking lot test ride. For trail riding though, all advantages point to disc brakes.

Aug 2009
    are hydrolic disc's really better than mechanical. The faq says now, but opinion on the forum seem to be yes.

mtbr member
    V-brakes can be impacted by the pad material.

But one thing is for sure, as a fellow PNW rider, V-brakes only work in the summer. When it's wet and muddy and you're riding trails with lots of elevation, disc is the only way to go.

I've had technical descends that nearly killed me on the V-brakes. On the disc, it was laughable. The modulation through the discs is incredible.

HOWEVER, I don't seem to like the Juicy 3/5 brakes as much. Even the Elixirs compared to my Shimano LX and it's pretty much middle of the road. I don't have monster stopping power like on a 180mm rotor, but the modulation is what I need most.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    are hydrolic disc's really better than mechanical. The faq says now, but opinion on the forum seem to be yes.
    Yes, many folks on this forum hold the opinion that hydraulic disc brakes are superior to mechanical disc brakes. Some Avid BB-7 users assert that their mechanical disc brakes are at least as good as hydraulics. (Most folks agree that BB7s are at the top of the pecking order for mechanical disc brakes.) The matter of whether BB7s are as good as some arbitrary hydraulic system is often hotly debated, but I've never seen once side convince the other to change their mind(s). There are pros and cons to each. You really need to test both to see which you like best.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm one of the ones who'll say hydraulic discs are better. Mechanical discs (like KevinB says, when we talk about mech discs we pretty much mean only the BB7's) can provide the same power as hydraulics, and may sometimes be easier to set-up and maintain. But ime they don't provide the same quality lever feel and modulation. Yes I know "lever feel" is very nebulous; best I can do putting it into words is, good hydros feel buttery and smooth, but mechs feel ratchety and "spring-loaded", mechanical.

Aug 2009
    It seems the rockhopper expert is just not available in my area. No dealer will order one, as their are no 2010's yet available and they dont want '09's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi. I'm also deciding on the Rockhopper but unsure if I should get the Comp Disc or Expert Disc. The difference between the two prices is $170. I see you guys mentioned that the fork is different but from the website the fork is the same between the two.

Here is the links to each version:
    Comp Disc
    Expert Disc: Expert Disc

Check the technical specs. Fork and frame is the same. Is the Expert Disc worth the extra money compared with the Comp Disc? Would it be more worth it to just get the Comp Disc and upgrade to better parts when they break?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by detonate
    Check the technical specs. Fork and frame is the same. Is the Expert Disc worth the extra money compared with the Comp Disc? Would it be more worth it to just get the Comp Disc and upgrade to better parts when they break?
    They just changed to 2010 specs online. A week ago we were looking at 2009 specs.

It depends on the price difference. The main differences are going from BB5 mech brakes to Tektro hydros, and 8sp vs 9sp. What prices are you looking at? Try the brakes and see which one you like better, that may be a deciding factor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am wondering if you guys feel the extra money is really worth it on the expert disc. The difference is 330 and all I really care about is the fork. Im a bigger guy, so im not sure if the dart 3 sl is right for me. Strong enough. Im looking to do some trails, some DH and then daily street riding. I want a fork which wont allow me to go head over heels, if I hit a small ditch. I am also ok with V breaks vs disc breaks.
    i used my 21" comp disc to get down from 23 stone to 16 stone, i have no idea what that is in real weight as we are still using lumps of rock to measure our weight over here in the UK. All of the riding i did was XC, tbh i dont think the suspension will make a huge difference regarding you going over the handle bars it has more to do with your riding position and and how loose you are on the handle bars.

Aug 2009
    I went for the 2010 comp disc, did a bit of DH yesterday, I felt the Dart 3 held up fine, even under my weight(300+). The disc breaks worked great, though if I ever ride my breaks down hill, the rotor gets incredibly hot and I then have a harder time of stopping. I only had this problem once.

Religion = Non-thinking
    are the (crappy brand) tektro hydraulics better than the bb5s?

i'm also not happy that all these $1k bikes are using dart 3's, wtf at least put on a tora...
    RH SL Pro

Aug 2009
    So far at least to me I love the BB5's and I think the Dart 3 is a great and capable fork. Im a pretty big guy and it holds me fine, at least so far.