mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New question here. Rockhopper Comp Disc or Trek 6700 Disc?

I am having a tuff time deciding between the 2007 Rockhopper Comp Disc or the 2007 Trek 6700 Disc mountain bike.

I am 30 years, 5' 7" and weigh 175. I am riding a combo of single track trail and some pavement/ logging roads. I will also be using the bike to compete in Adventure Races. My budget is really around $950 - $1,000. I think I've narrowed my search down to these two bikes, but I would really like some expert opinions on which bike is a better bike for the price. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I am going to test ride the Rockhopper this weekend at the local shop. The local Trek dealer must order the 6700 Disc in before I can test ride. The 6700 lists for $1099, but the local dealer will sell for $1,000. The Rockhopper lists for $880 and a different dealer told the price was firm at $880. Should I be able to bargain for a better price on the Rockhopper considering the 2008 models will probably be coming out later this year? Thanks for the advice.

Newbie Rider
    Jun 2007
    I picked up a 17" 07 Rockhopper Comp Disc from my LBS for $789. Almost no negotiation. Just ask them what their lowest price is, that is what I did. I actually did it over the phone. Good luck, I've been tearing it up on my RH and have been very happy with the purchase. My guess is that you would be happy with both though. The question that I'd ask yourself is what are you getting with the additional cost of the Trek. If you are getting upgraded components that you will notice the difference, then maybe it's worth it. I bought my bike knowing that the components were not top notch but were not crap either. It is equipped with disc brakes so upgrading them later will be easier. i.e. I have the infrastructure needed. Bottom line, I got a decent bike at a reasonable price and I did not paint myself into a corner where upgrading components will be difficult.

Good luck!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Good job! Thanks

Thanks for your feedback!! I am going to test ride the Rockhopper tomorrow morning. Any idea about the approx. weight? Thanks Again!!

Newbie Rider
    Jun 2007
    I'd guess 28-30 lbs. It feels light to me. I don't think you are going to find anything very much lighter in this price range. Seems to me, you need to spend 1200+ to notice much difference. It is a really nice bike. I'm very, very happy with it. I'm a heavy 225 guy and i've hit jumps and such very hard and this thing hasn't skipped a beat. Also, the lockout fork is a must have for road riding. All around it's a good bike, if you like the feel, I'd pull the trigger. Not sure if this url will come through or not but here are some photo's.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mshoemak...hopperCompDisk

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Wait, I just rode a 19" 07 Rockhopper Comp Disc at my lbs and it was $880 , no negotiation. He looked on the web and said the 08 wasn't coming out until December so the price would stay there at least until December

So I called around and all the other bike shops had the same price. I'm starting to think there's not a lot competition in the Boise area since everybody charges retail. I've been reading about all of these amazing prices on these forums but I can't seem to find a local shop with similar prices. I guess I'll keep looking.

Newbie Rider
    Jun 2007
    I've seen on this forum and heard from several bike shops that the Rockhoppers were to be released in late july or aug. I think december is not correct. I'm also surprised that they wouldn't negotiate at all. I'd try another shop or consider driving to the next town.

Newbie Rider
    Jun 2007
    Also, the shops in town here in St Louis "charge retail". In other words thats what the sticker says, but if you ask them if they would consider discounting it they should. Most shops here don't even have many RH'ers left. If they do, it's generally only in select sizes/colors.