mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Rockhopper Comp Disc or Hardrock Sport Disk

First off I'm 5'9" and about 215lbs. The purpose of getting the bike is to use it for exercise. Most likely it will be used 70% of time on road messing around on the streets and 30% of the time on off road trails.

Wondering which bike you guys think would be the better fit? Wondering if the rockhopper is worth the extra $190?

thanks in advance for the comments!

Double XL! Double XL!
    I think they're going to be pretty much the same fit if you get the right size... but the hardrock is definitely a better choice for your application if you're looking to save a few dollars. The only big difference/advantage of the rockhopper is the better brand fork, with more travel distance (100mm), and lockout on it. but for the riding you'll be doing, the 80mm travel fork on the hardrock should suit you just fine.

The more the better
    Depends on how (Off-road) your going i would get a cross bike.
    Like a Specialized Crosstrail or
    Gary Fisher Kaitai
    If that isnt your cup of tea the regular Hardrock will be fine. Make sure to test ride whatever your interested in and see what frame size fits you and what bike you like better. I'd try out a 18mm to start. Make sure to lower the seat as desired on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking a 17 would best suit me, but I will ride it around before I buy it to make sure. I'm not to concerned with the front forks, I'm sure they are setup for a lighter person then myself so they will eventually need to be replaced.

This is my first geared bike and I'm not sure if the lighter rockhopper would be better and worth the extra $190. Looks like the components are one grade up from the Hardrock Sport Disc, but brakes look to be the same.

Lastly what about the rims, one set better for my weight then another, I was pretty hard on the rim my old BMX bike.
    Last edited by Vandals909; 06-19-2009 at 12:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Should there be other brands or models I should be looking at?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm 5'9" and a 17 or 17.5 suits me fine.
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'-7" and 17" fits me. I can squeeze into a 15", but it's pretty tight, especially on climbs. It's great on technical single track because I can flick it around. But I don't have a lot of room to put power down efficiently.

However, that's on a Stumpjumper. I don't know if the geo on the RH and HR are different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think a hardtail would be best for me since I will be doing 70% of my riding on the street. I do not want to spend more then $800 on my first mountain bike. Do you guys know of any other bikes that would compare to the hardrock/rockhopper in that price range. I'm still torn between these two also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am (was) in a similar position to you and ended up picking the Rockhopper. I weigh about the same but am 6'1" and went with a 19" frame on mine, had it for about 3 months now and love it. At the moment I am using it about 50/50 road/offroad.

Have a look at the Gary Fisher Wahoo, I was comparing that to the Rockhopper, in the end went with the Specialized as I could not find any Wahoo's locally.

Double XL! Double XL!
    KHS, Bianchi, Gary Fisher, and Giant, Trek are some of the few brands that also have bikes in your $$$ range. You might wanna research some of the brands in the manufacturer's forum on here too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Again why the rockhopper over the Hardrock? Whats the weight difference?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Found a bike shop about 1 hour away who has a Hardrock Sport Disc for $520 and they have a coupon for an additional $20 off. So bike would be $500 plus tax. Seem like a good deal?

Double XL! Double XL!
    yeah that's a good deal. probably can't get much better than that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the reply

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Went to local bike shop today and bought my first mountain bike. Since I will be doing the majority of my riding on the street I got a Hardrock 29er Sport with disc brakes. Real comfortable bike for me.