mtbr member
    May 2009

Rockhopper Comp Disc or Gary Fisher Tassajara???

Which to buy? Help me decide. Rockhopper Comp Disc or Gary Fisher Tassajara???

Gary Fisher Tassajara

Gold Series 6061 T6 aluminum, G2 Geometry, butted DT, cold-forged dropouts & BB
    Front Shock RockShox Tora SL Solo Air, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown, air spring w/turnkey lockout, external preload & rebound adjustment
    Shifters Shimano Deore M530
    Front Derailleur Shimano M531 Deore
    Rear Derailleur Shimano SLX M662 Shadow
    Cassette SRAM PG950 11-32T, 9spd
    Bottom Bracket Shimano ES25 Octalink
    Crank Set Shimano FC-M428, 44s/32s/22s, Octalink
    Brakeset Shimano M486, hydraulic disc, 160mm CenterLock rotors
    Crank Set Shimano FC-M428, 44s/32s/22s, Octalink
    =========================================

Rockhopper Comp Disc

FRAME Specialized M4 Manipulated Alloy frame, fully butted, ORE DT, forged dropouts w/ replaceable 98954020 hanger, disc only

FORK RockShox Dart 3 SL, 100mm, preload and rebound adj. w/ LO, 13/15": standard spring, all others: "stiff" spring, disc only

HEADSET Specialized 1-1/8" threadless, loose ball

STEM Specialized 3D forged, 4-bolt, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clampH

HANDLEBARS Specialized alloy, 31.8mm, 25mm rise, 640mm wide, 8 degree back sweep, 8 degree up, 2.8mm thick

FRONT BRAKE Avid BB5, mechanical disc, caliper/adapter w/ 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotor

REAR BRAKE Avid BB5, mechanical disc, caliper/adapter w/ 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotorBRAKE LEVERSAvid FR-5, alloy, two-finger, linear pull

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus, 34.9mm clamp, top swing

REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X-5, med. cageSHIFT LEVERSSRAM X-4, 8-speed trigger

CASSETTE SRAM PG-830-I8, 8-speed, 11-32tCHAINKMC X8 w/ reuseable Missing Link

CRANKSET Shimano FC-M36108, Octalink spline, replaceable ringsCHAINRINGS42S x 32S x 22S

BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearings, 68mm x 118mm PEDALSSteel cage, composite body, 9/16"RIMSSpecialized RHD 26", double wall disc, pinned w/ eyelets, 28/32h

FRONT HUB Specialized Hi Lo, forged alloy, double sealed, ground race, 28hREAR HUBSpecialized, forged alloy, double sealed, ground race, cassette, QR, 32hSPOKES1.8mm (15g) stainless

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What's the difference in price between the two? If close, the Fisher is much better specd, I own both brands and they make great bikes, ride them both and go from there. Either way you'll end up with a sweet ride.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCain
    What's the difference in price between the two? If close, the Fisher is much better specd, I own both brands and they make great bikes, ride them both and go from there. Either way you'll end up with a sweet ride.

Thanks,

Same exact price, I believe.
    I too have owned both brands.
    I have tried them both and still cannot decide.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If they both feel good to you, I'd pull the trigger on the Fisher, that's a pretty good jump on the fork, brakes and drivetrain over the Specialized. Both have lifetime frame warranties and I know the Fishers climb like a goat. Have fun making your decision, either one is sure to bring smiles to your face.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCain
    If they both feel good to you, I'd pull the trigger on the Fisher, that's a pretty good jump on the fork, brakes and drivetrain over the Specialized. Both have lifetime frame warranties and I know the Fishers climb like a goat. Have fun making your decision, either one is sure to bring smiles to your face.
    okay.....thanks.

Anyone else have a preference or beef with these 2 bikes......?

offroader
    Dec 2008
    The GF Tass

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Are they the same year bike? 2008 or 2009? MSRP for the Spec is $770 I believe and the Fisher is $1079 so there is a $300 difference MSRP wise. If you can get them at the same price, definatly the Fisher.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Even if you can't get them at the same price, the GF Marlin Disc (MSRP $799) is more competitively spec'd but still excells over the Rockhopper. Note: the Dart 2 "with optional lockout" is the Dart 3. Also, you have full 9sp on the Marlin, where Rockhopper shaves a few bucks and downgrades the drivetrain to 8sp at the same pricepoint.