mtbr member
    Aug 2006

New question here. Rocket Comp vs. Trek 4900... Other suggestions?

Hello everyone, I have been doing alot of research on what bike I want to buy and my price range is around 400-600 (600 at very most)... I like the Schwinn Rocket Pro but I am also weary of the cheap components often associated with cheaper DS bikes, but I have read some pretty good reviews as far as being a good bang for it's buck, and I could always upgrade the fork if I wanted to... Also was looking at the Trek 4900 hardtail... I like the looks of this especially with the disc brakes and Trek seems to be a more reliable and good reputated brand...

Any other suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated... I plan to do alot of offroad riding at a local lake here and a little bit of downhill as well...

Thanks for your time and any suggestions in advance...

Kyle :-)

Muhuhahaha
    I would go with the Trek. If looking at just those. But check out Specl. Hardrock, Haro v3 or v4and Jamis. I'm looking at around the same price range and those are my favorite so far. If you like to order on the net Iron zHorse or Ibex seem to get good praises around here.
    Last edited by Demonsmasher; 08-11-2006 at 01:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hey finally ordered my bike, I got the 21 inch frame Iron Horse Maverick XC, disc brakes, dual shock, not the best fork (RST Gila T-6) but if I have a problem with it I can always upgrade in the future... Cant wait to get the bike and I really like the Iron Horse bikes and what everyone has had to say about them...

Kyle

mtbr member
    Congrads I'm looking at pretty much the same price point as you guys but keeping it bellow 500.........keep us up dated on what you think.........!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KMcAndre
    I like the Schwinn Rocket Pro but I am also weary of the cheap components often associated with cheaper DS bikes, but I have read some pretty good reviews as far as being a good bang for it's buck, and I could always upgrade the fork if I wanted to...
    FYI, the Schwinn Rocket Pro is fine, though a fork upgrade should be concidered. Still, there are worse forks out there, and the stock fork will get you by even on rough terrain. The other components aren't that bad.

Good luck with your Iron Horse. I'm sure you'll have a blast on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Actually, turns out I was looking at the wrong specs when I said I was getting a not so good fork on my iron horse... Turns out its actually a Rock Shox J-1, which had good reviews from what I looked at... Here are the specs and now from what I can gather the only possible upgrade (unless i find something else) would be the disc brakes but im sure I will love it the way it is once I ride it as my last bike was a Wal-Mart DS Mongoose LOL... (Actually ended up breaking part of the heavy ass steal frame lol) Anyways here are those specs...

Frame: 6061 aluminum
    Fork: Rock Shox J1; 100mm travel
    Rear Shock: Coil over 100mm travel
    Headset: VP-A71 Steel
    Crankset: TruVativ Alloy, 42/34/24T
    Bottom Bracket: VP-VP73
    Shifters: Shimano ST-EF35, Front: 3-speed indexed; Rear: 8-speed indexed
    Levers: Shimano including in EF 35
    Handlebar: Alloy, 600mm wide, 30mm rise
    Stem: Alloy
    R Der.: Shimano RD-M340 8-speed
    Cassette: Shimano CS-HG30 11-32T; 8 speed
    Brakes: Tektro IO Mechanical
    Wheelset: Hubs: Joy-Tech Alloy QR; 32H; Rims: Quang Xing CR-21 26x1.5; 32H
    Tires: IRC Mythos XC
    Pedals: Wellgo
    Seatpost: Alloy 300/350mm x 27.2
    Saddle: WTB Speed V Sport
    Chain: KMC Z-72
    GRIPS/TAPE: Velo VLG402
    F Der.: Shimano FD-C050 dual pull, 34.9mm

Kyle :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XterraOverload
    Congrads I'm looking at pretty much the same price point as you guys but keeping it bellow 500.........keep us up dated on what you think.........!!
    You might want to check out performancebike.com, thats where I found my Iron Horse and it ran 429.99 + I believe 20 percent off ill know the final price when I order it tomorrow... (figured wouldnt make much difference if I wait til monday)...

Might want to check it out its the Iron Horse Maverick XC Performance

Good luck, let us know what you decide on...

Kyle

ride hard take risks
    Hay you should have bought the bike you just bought it will make you really happy.

Ride on be shure to post some dirty pic's of your new bike, congratz.